16. Night at the Beach

Smut towards the end of the chapter

*******

Hongjoong's fingers rapped against the door frame of his own quarters. Surprised at the sudden hint of privacy, Seonghwa rose his head. Under his fingers, he had splayed the pirate codex. After all, he showed an interest in how their system worked and what to think of it.

"Ahoy. Want to meet the crew downstairs at dinner? Might be better than eatin' by yerself all the time."

Cabezon straightened his back. Stiff and entirely out of place, he throned behind the heavy wooden desk. Insecurity showed in the slightest furrow of his brows.

"I'm unsure. So far, the whole lot of your crew has proved to be more to handle than I can take."

Hongjoong rose his bottle of rum to his lips and took a big gulp. Hot and burning, the liquor ran down his parched throat and added to the simmering warmth in his body.

"The offer stands. I know ye been lonely. An' there be some mateys ye get along with. Yunho an' Yeosang will try their best to 'ave ye be comfortable," the captain mumbled. Just when he turned to return to their merry feast, Cabezon's voice halted him.

"Alright, I will try. Wait for me." Seonghwa pushed back the chair and stood. He took the black fur coat that Hongjoong barely wore from the back of the chair. Once everything was orderly in place and tucked away where he had found it, he followed Hongjoong. For a moment, the captain watched how he threw the jacket over his shoulders and the soft fur hugged them so charmingly.

When visiting the islands farther north, Hongjoong had met warriors decked in savage wolves' pelts that fought with rune-decorated battle axes. Not that Seonghwa would be brusque enough to swing an axe. But wolves' fur would match him beautifully. If the man weren't so damn stubborn and would consider becoming Hongjoong's lover and mate, then Hongjoong would gift him a coat made of such fur.

They left the cabin together and crossed the deck. The bay that protectively hugged their ship in a hidden crook in the island's south was deserted and peaceful. Some birds chirped in the nightly forest, and the indignant yells of monkey travelled over to them.

Hongjoong wanted to take a dip in those shallow waters. Unexpectedly, he interrupted in his steps.

"Oi, I 'ave a better idea. Do ye want to take a walk?"

Surprised at the sudden change of plans, Seonghwa looked between him and the entrance to the forecastle leading downstairs.

Yes, Hongjoong had promised Yeosang to coddle him some more as long as the man healed. His recovery was speedy, and he didn't doubt that they could leave within the next few days.

Huge and round, and reflecting in Seonghwa's doe eyes, the moon hovered above them. A perfect moon for nightly beach strolls. It lit the pale sand and the ocean with enough light to see.

"What makes you think I would want to be at the beach alone with you at night?" Despite his protests, Seonghwa followed with feigned reluctance as Hongjoong dragged him over to the railing by his sleeve.

"The fact that ye kissed me."

Seonghwa's mouth dropped open while Hongjoong kicked his boots and coat aside. As if led by higher powers, the man automatically also stripped from his clothes. The double-meant message of having time alone didn't escape the commander.

"That was just-"

"Yer hatred an' spite fer me, aye, I know. Come on." Hongjoong didn't hesitate any longer. With a graceful leap, he jumped from the railing. His hands breached the water surface first, then his head.