Chapter 31: Semifinals and Semi Confused

Start from the beginning

"How?" Is all I ask. How intelligent, I know.

"I told you I might have a chance to call you. I know the chances were slim and I told you not to get your hopes up, but I got the okay to call you," he explains.

"How are you? You're not hurt are you? I will seriously hurt you if you're hurt," I scold.

"I'm fine," he soothes. "And I don't see how hurting my already hurt self would help a situation."

"Well, I'd wait until you heal and then hurt you again."

He chuckles heartily. "I really miss you."

I smile. "I miss you too. You not hurt, right?"

I run my thumb over Ashton's crease to smooth it away. He rolls his eyes and gently bats my hand away. "I'm fine. No injuries have occurred. Actually, that's a lie. I picked up a piece of paper the other day and got a horrid paper cut."

I press my lips together to suppress a smile. "I thought I told you not to make bad dad jokes anymore."

"Old habits die hard. How are you though? The attacks? Is football going well? And how's Ashton? I'm sure he's there trying to listen in."

Ashton frowns playfully and sticks his tongue out at the phone. "I'm doing really good. Haven't has one in awhile. School is school and grades are good. Football is great. We actually have semifinals tonight. Ashton is, well, here."

Ashton sighs dramatically and takes the phone from me. "Your daughter is mean."

I wrinkle my nose at him to which he just pulls me under his arm. "You probably deserved it," my father replies seriously, but he's laughing.

"You know I did. Actually, I have something to tell you, to which I think you will find very interesting."

My eyes widen in alarm and I try to pull the phone away from him. He keeps me trapped in his arms and wraps one of his legs behind mine. Succeeding in rendering me useless.

"Really, and what might that be?"

Ashton grins wickedly at me. "I'm dating your daughter."

My jaw slackens and I feel my blood boil. He'll tell my father, but not our closest friends. The nerve of him. He should be scared to tell my dad! I use my foot to stomp on his. He yells in pain.

I hear my dad sigh. "Release my daughter Ashton."

Ashton loosens his hold, but keeps me wrapped in his arms. I rest my head against his chest in defeat. The deed has been done. My father now knows. Dear god, Ashton is never going to be allowed over.

"Took you long enough."

My head snaps up to meet Ashton's smug face. Did my dad just say what I think he said? I take the phone back and move out of Ashton's hearing range. He starts to move towards me, but I point for him to stay where he is.

"What do you mean, took you long enough?" I ask bewildered.

"I've been waiting for that boy to ask you out since he first laid eyes on you. He was a goner from that day forward. He was just a coward. Now, tell me. Who had the balls to do it?"