Chapter 4: Fai

Fai’s eyes opened to piercing brightness, which almost instantly faded back into darkness so profound that his heart raced and his lungs strained for air. He would rather have an hour-long conversation with his parents than stay in the darkness a moment longer. As if granting his wish, the cavern became brighter—only long enough for Fai to catch his breath—before flashing to the beat of his heart. 

The frigid ground beneath his back bit into his skin and his ankle throbbed. The flashing lights continued, but he pushed himself up into a sitting position regardless, finding his stomach and head riddled with pain. The lights slowed and his thoughts became clearer.

He felt for his pack, to retrieve a torch, but realized the only item he’d had was rope, which now hung yards above him, and his heels. He clutched the pack tightly in his hand, the worn leather creasing under the force of his fingers.

“The necromancer will stay here.”

Fai looked around, his eyesight still adjusting, and demanded, “Who was that?” with a slurred voice. He tried to force himself up once more, but his ankle buckled under his weight. “Where am I? What’s a necromancer?” His voice raised with the increase of his heart beat, “Please help me! I can’t stand, I can’t escape, please!”

“The necromancer will stay here.”

“Please, help me! I don’t want to stay here! I have a life to live!”

The voice was quiet for a moment, then, “The necromancer must stay here.”

“Why?” His head swum, and he started repeating the question softly to himself, “why, why, why, why?” His head pulsed with pain. He hoped he was hallucinating.

“The necromancer has souls to care for here.”

“I don’t want to babysit souls! I want to live my life!”

“The necromancer must take responsibility for the dead he has awakened.”

“How can I do that while I’m stuck here? I can—I can help the souls better outside, and I’d be happier.”

“The necromancer will forget to help the souls if he is elsewhere.”

“Then give me a companion! I don’t care! I just—I just want out of here!”

 There was a long, contemplative silence. 

“Very well, but your companion must not perish.” The cavern settled into a bright light, and once his eyes adjusted, he saw that a wall wasn’t far from his left. He crawled to it, then leaned on its hard surface. Gems were imbedded in the wall, like those in the first tunnel. However, they were smoother now, as if their thirst for blood had been sated. The pain of his ankle caused the sharpness of shapes to blur. The gemstones all became one rainbow of color as he fought to stay standing. 

Except one spot on the wall, unadorned, remained clear. It was no wider than his shoulders and no taller than his desk, about twenty feet away. He stumbled towards the patch, using the wall as a crutch. The effort made his legs shake and his vision blur around the edges. When he reached the spot, he kneeled, the joints in his knees popping as if he’d been inactive for some time. 

He ran his hand around the gray patch, feeling for edges or seams, something he could sink his fingers into and pry. Finding only rough stone, he took pack in his teeth and placed his injured palm on the patch itself to try pushing. He pulled his hand back as soon as it he’d extended it. 

After a moment of confusion, he reached out once more. His hand passed through the patch like it was thin air. His head swam; why did he see this if it wasn’t there? Fai looked at his hand, and realized the small gems imbedded in his injured palm glowed softly. He bit his lip, unsure if he wanted to go through the tunnel. He sighed; there was no other way.