To Know The Truth

Start from the beginning

What did she think? It's absurd!

"Did Sharon tell you this?" she asked with raised eyebrows.

"Don't rob me of my time! I don't believe you!" Ámbar said between her teeth. A tear ran down her face. Something told her this woman didn't lie to her, but it also couldn't be real.

"Please, listen to me!" the woman begged. "I do not lie. Sharon misled me."

"Enough!" She raised her hands as a defense. "Go away! I can't stand that you are insulting my aunt. You called me out from a party if you haven't noticed it." She swept the tear away. " I need to go back," she yelled at her.

"Please, you have to listen!"

"No," Ámbar roared a last and turned back. She thought it was over, finally. But it wasn't, now came the biggest part of it.

"You have a birthmark in the shape of a star on your body. On your belly's right side."

Ámbar frozen again, it can't be. How did she know? It was true, she has a star-shaped birthmark. One more tear ran down her face.

"It's beautiful," the woman stated with kindness in her voice. "You had it since you were born."

Ámbar sighed and turned around. Her mouth was opened, she was surprised. The woman may be telling the truth.

She wiped the tear away and asked, "How did you know that?"

She was lost. Her whole world turned upside down in very little time.

"I could never forget it. When you were born, your face and your body, your every part engraved into my heart."

The woman was speaking, but Ámbar didn't hear well. Her whole body was trembling, and she felt dizzy. Her head began to buzz. It was too much for her. Too sudden and too hard, like a flash of lightning from nowhere.

"I am you mother." She stepped closer to her. "I was alone, and I had no way to take care of you." The only thing which Ámbar could do was shake her head. No, this is a lie. No!

"That's why I had to put you up for adoption." She seemed honest, but Ámbar couldn't believe it.

"It can't be," she said with a trembling tone. She couldn't speak fluently because she was shocked. A storm of feelings swept through her.

"I tried to tell you many, many times what happened but Sharon never let me. At your birthday party last year, I posed as an employee of the caterer to be a little bit closer to you. I left you a gift. It was a little brooch in a shape of a butterfly, did you get it?" Ámbar only blinked some to keep the tears in.

Memories flooded Ámbar's mind. The moment when Sharon said she was Sol Benson. When she didn't remember the melody which the doll played. When his grandfather noticed her birthmark, he didn't know she has one. When Amanda said she wasn't Sol Benson. It was weird but didn't matter at that time. But now every little detail came together into one image as a puzzle become finished. She isn't Sol Benson.

"I think it's important you know the truth. If you need something, you can always count on me," she promised her. She had never heard these words. 'You can count on me', it was new for her. "I hope someday you will regret me."

The woman started to cry, and Ámbar left her. She couldn't process what happened to her during this very little time. Her whole life turned around. Now she didn't know who she was. She was living in a stupid lie! What did her aunt think!?

She went to the backstage where she could be alone. This was what she needed at that moment.

Her tears stopped running down on her face, now she wasn't sad but lost. Who am I at all? I am a daughter of a poor woman. No, it can't be. I am Ámbar Smith the perfectness who everybody wants to be.