Chapter 1

You loved Natasha's apartment. It was spacious and bright and she had a great view of the city. There was just one teeny-tiny itsy-bitsy problem... you hated her neighbour.

James 'Bucky' Barnes.

Natasha introduced you to Bucky a little over a year ago. Her fiancé, Clint, adored him and Bucky always stopped by their apartment. The boys would stay in the living room and watch TV while you and Natasha gossiped and drank wine in the kitchen.

Bucky was drop dead gorgeous and that bastard knew it. Women just seemed to gravitate towards him. He carried himself like he was the king of the world, oozing confidence from every pore.

You thought he looked ridiculous, especially when he walked. Bucky didn't walk, he strutted. You found him incredibly infuriating; his manner, his physique, and even his voice. Oh, God, you hated his voice. It was always raspy, like he had just woken up.

Natasha tried to calm things down, but you were both too stubborn to listen to her.

"It's Friday night, why is he here?" you hissed, before taking a long gulp of wine. "Already fucked all the brainless girls in New York?"

"Just because some women find him attractive doesn't mean they're brainless," Natasha chastised and while you knew she was right, you rolled your eyes.

"Whatever."

"You're my maid of honor, he's Clint's best man. You will have to spend time together so try to get along."

"Nat-" you started whining.

"Don't you dare ruin my big day!"

"Why is he Clint's best man? You've only known that guy for a year."

"You know why."

She gave you a dirty look. Clint was nice guy, but he had what she liked to call 'a resting murder face'. At first glance, you remember that he looked quite intimidating and you were a bit hesitant to stand too close to him. Now that you had spent more time with him, you knew he was a dork with a serious caffeine addiction, but you understood why people were scared to approach him.

You were deep in thought when Bucky walked into the kitchen, carrying two empty bowls of chips and pretzels. He made a beeline for the bag of chips on the counter and left. As he stepped into the living room, Natasha called his name, and he turned back.

"You still need a date for your sister's wedding?"

Your head snapped up, your eyes widened when you realized her intent. You mouthed a 'no', but she waved you off. Bucky seemed oblivious to the tension in the room and sighed. "Yeah, it's in a week. I'm starting to lose hope."

"Ask our dear friend here," she said way too casually.

Bucky turned his attention to you, acknowledging your presence for the first time. His face was unreadable and you just wanted to scream. You stared at each other for a moment before he made a nasty sound in the back of his throat.

"I'd rather throw myself off a cliff."

"Please, do that," you mumbled behind the rim of your glass.

You pretended not to see the dirty look they gave you. Bucky placed the bag of chips on the counter and crossed his arms over his chest. He was wearing a beige shirt, which looked hideous on him.

"Bucky needs a date because he can't face his ex-girlfriend. It ended badly and he needs someone who will look at him like he's God's greatest creation."

Breaking the Rulesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें