"Hmm if you and the apple of your eye are still happily married, I think you're being a bit dramatic," Kwaye responded. He believed that as long as his brother-in-law had his wife, they could survive anything.

She smiled at that but her face soon lost the glimmer. "Okay, whew, I can do this. So I was bathing Kamora yesterday and we fooled around a lot and Zachari had to come give me the whole don't spoil her speech. While he talking, sh-she called out and said 'Mommy, look!' I swear I've never said anything to her to indicate I was her mom, I would never. I hope you're not mad. Please don't be mad. I didn't say anything in response so I basically neither confirmed nor denied her calling me that."

Kwaye sat still for a long while. Ruelle continued to pace. It appears the woman was right, this was axis tilting.

He cleared his throat repeatedly, opening his mouth and then closing it again. In truth, Ruelle deserved the title. She had stepped up with Kamora in a way that Kwaye would eternally be grateful for. Outside of Kamora's grandmother, Ruelle was the only constant female presence in her life.

Yet, this all felt like a betrayal. Kwaye thought back to his late wife who had been unable to hear her daughter say the word 'Mommy'. It was unfair that Ruelle got to hear that when his wife had not. It was not Ruelle's fault but he still felt bitter.

"Would you like her to think of you as her mother?" Kwaye asked simply.

Ruelle paused. How was she to answer without insulting him and the memory of his late wife?

Kwaye sighed, "Honestly. Please don't lie or keep stuff from me."

That was that.

"Yes. Kamora already has and will forever have a mother. I don't want to take that away from her or try to replace her mom. But Kwaye I love that little girl. She is not mine but I would give her the world. Please understand that this idea only formed in my head last night. I am okay with being an overprotective and extremely involved aunt. But when I heard her say that, when she looked at me with her brows furrowed and called out to me, nothing ever felt so right. Nothing."

Ruelle was on the verge of tears. She felt guilty as if she had overstepped but he asked for the truth and she gave it to him.

Kwaye had never felt so conflicted. "I feel like I'm choosing between my wife and you," he confessed.

Ruelle shook her head violently. "Absolutely not. Kamora already has a mother. I would simply be #2. There is not a single day that you or I or the rest of this village will not remind that little girl of her biological mother. She will know her mom as if she grew up with her because we'll make sure of that. Again, I do not ever intend to erase her biological mom from her life."

Kwaye thought back to the necklace Ruelle had given Kamora. Years later, he still clasped that quartz pendant around Kamora's neck every day. "A mother's love is timeless, boundless, and everlasting," he repeated now, citing the inscription on the pendant.

"Always," Ruelle answered, silently swearing she'd always honor Kamora's mother.

And though it broke his heart, Kwaye smiled at Ruelle. "Truth be told, you don't need my permission. Kamora made her choice and I'll always abide by that. You've been so good to her. I'm so grateful for your support, Ruelle. You not only helped my little girl but you helped piece me back together. Anyone who gets to know you would attest that you have a nurturing soul. I can't think of another person I'd like to look after my kid. And I'm sure, somewhere out there, my wife agrees with me wholeheartedly. So yes, it's okay. If that is what you want-"