Ruelle smiled at his use of ghosting. He said it like he had just been taught the word and wasn't used to using it. "You're so cute. I'm glad you guys are back in contact though. You look excited to see them."

Zachari nodded, "I've known these guys since college."

They talked a bit more after that until he had to go. Ruelle smiled as she walked to set and hoped he had a wonderful time with his friends. He deserved it.

The next day, Ruelle was disappointed to find out that he did not have a good time. In fact, he didn't even get to see them.

"What happened?" Ruelle asked with a tight frown. She heard screaming in the background and rose a brow. Zachari sighed before turning away.

"Mora baby wasn't you sleeping? You gotta sleep, miss. What's that? You don't want to? Your attitude stank just like your mama."

Zachari walked back with Kamora against his chest. She was a beautiful baby, her chubby limbs clinging to his shirt. Zachari flinched when she pulled his beard. "Nah, see this what we not gon do. Imma need you to sleep for me, Mora."

Ruelle his her giggle behind her palm as she watched Zachari have a stare-off with his niece. To Ruelle's amazement, the baby actually calmed down, her cries ceasing as her head fell in the crook of his neck.

He smiled widely, his hands gently caressing her back. "Thank you, mama."

When his attention returned to Ruelle, she smiled. "We were just meant to be. I'm the favorite Aunty too!"

Zachari chuckled, "Kids listen to me."

She smiled, "Everyone listens to you, big man. You just have that...aura."

He rose a brow but shook his head as she winked. "I didn't go cause Mama had Kamora while her dad went to work. Mama gets kinda sick sometimes and asked me to pick Mora up."

Ruelle pouted, "Did you guys reschedule?" He shrugged, "Yea, but who knows when our schedules will align again. It's cool cause they called when they were heading home and kept me company."

She smiled as she said, "That was nice of them."

Then she asked a question. "You ever get tired, big man?"

He understood what she meant. For a moment, he allowed his face to express the disappointment he had felt yesterday afternoon. Then he reigned it all back in and returned to his content expression.

"Of taking care of Mora? Never. Everything else? All the time."

Ruelle simply stared at him. He was healthy. He was strong and he was content. She didn't worry about his health, but she worried deeply about the state of his spirit.

Zachari ran away from her peering eyes, his gaze lowering to Kamora. He cupped her head, his body swaying as he hummed a song his father used to sing for his sister.

Isn't she lovely?
Isn't she wonderful?
Isn't she precious?

Ruelle continued her careful observation. He was so gentle with the child — his giant body softened with love. At that moment, Ruelle realized that Kamora was one of the few people keeping this man's spirit bright.