"You're really conflicted about this, aren't you?"

Emmett chuckled. "How can you tell?"

"It's...It's not really about the situation as a whole, not anymore at least. I think I've pretty much gotten over the shock of it. That's not the issue."

"Then, what is?" Edward asked, blocking out Emmett's thoughts. He felt that digging for the answers wouldn't be welcomed right now.

Emmett stared upwards at the sky, trying to come up with the right words to try and explain what's going on in his head. "Clearly, this isn't going to work out the way it did with Rose and me, and I don't know how to go about this properly. I've never been with a man before; I doubt it's that different, but different still, I-" He ran his fingers through his hair. "He-He has scars too. Around his wrists. I thought it was poison ivy at first."

"He clearly has a past, trauma, and a lot of baggage. Rose had her issues, still does. I'm not trying to undermine her. But I feel like Kaneki's runs a lot deeper that from what I've seen, and I don't-"

Emmett let out a frustrated groan, glaring down. He watched his diamond-like glowing skin as he shifted his arm left and right before him in the sunlight. The light flashed in several directions, even in his eyes, but it didn't bother him. He felt his brother place a hand on his shoulder.

The mind reader had never seen his 'younger' brother like this before. He always put on the carefree persona, not really seeming like he care about much on the surface. So it was certainly not a sight Edward was used to seeing, his brother so unsure of his own actions and so nervous. It was so... un-Emmett-like.

But he could understand where the worry came from. This wasn't going to be a comfortable ride for him, not like it was with Rose. Not to say that Rose was an easy woman, not at all. But Kaneki and Rose were two different people from two different walks of life. The only reason it had come easy with Rosalie was that they'd both been turned at the time and under the assumption that they were mates.

Edward did wonder about that. Was this a common thing amongst their kind, or any other? There was the case of confusing one's singer as their mate, but that wouldn't be the case for his siblings. They both had been turned, at least they were when they'd actually met after Rose had brought Emmett to Carlisle. Perhaps it was just in general attraction? Not everyone came across their mates after all. Not if that mate was human. There's the possibility of that human dying before they got the chance to come across one another. But vampires still could end up with ones they love. Whether that be true mates or not.

And the love between Rosalie and Emmett had been there from the start, no doubt. Edward would have had to be blind to not see the obvious attraction the two had for each other throughout the years. They really had no shame.

Which was why he was still surprised at how calmly Rose was taking the entire situation. Maybe he wasn't meant to understand.

"I think you should just take it slow," Edward finally said. "It is a different territory than what you're used to, you're right. Just...don't get too ahead of yourself to the point you overwhelm yourself and Kaneki."

Emmett was silent for a moment. "Yeah, you're right. Thanks, Ed."

The two sat in silence, listening to the others continue their games inside.

"Ya know," Edward said, breaking that silence. "I might have a way that could help you a bit with Kaneki."

Emmett sat up. "What?"

Edward vanished into the house and was back in a second with a book in his hands. Emmett looked at him and the book skeptically. "Look, I get that Kaneki is most likely, like, super smart, but I don't think-"