***

         The days have become longer as Khan awaits his day of glory when he finally gets his revenge on the young queen. The curtains are drawn in the Great Hall and the only light is from burning candles that line the stone walls. He sits in his thrown stewing in his anger and fanaticizing how he will murder Niki. The large doors creek open and Ares steps through. He walks towards Khan and his steps echo is the eerie silence. He reaches the thrown steps and bows. Khan does not acknowledge his presence. “My King, there is a Mystic and werewolf with the young queen at Royals Peak.” Khan looks down to Ares. His face looks as if he hasn’t slept in days and his voice is deeper than normally, “Who is the Mystic?” Ares takes a step forward and Khan raises his hand, signaling for him to stay where he is. “Her name is Denise. She was denied by Renee to join the Royal Court after she was awakened many years ago; also she was bitten during her awakening so she is also werewolf. She may be of some use to us…you my King. Her son Travis is with her also. He is a werewolf.” Khan sits up slightly at hearing that she was denied by Renee. This may be helpfully to me. He runs his hands through his now tangled and greasy hair. “Ares, do you know anything else about this woman?” Ares shakes his head from side to side, “Not very much sir. She is married to Charles the messenger and she has been trying to get in the Realm for years with no success. Renee insisted that she was not to be a part of the Court.” Khan places his hands together and closes his eyes. How can I use this woman to my advantage? Khan claps his hands together as an idea pops into his mind. He jumps from his throne and quickly walks down the three steps to where Ares is standing. “It’s so simple! You go to Denise and tell her that if she aids us she will be accepted into the court. Tell her that we need her to give us any and all information about Niki.” Ares smiles and bows to Khan. “Yes, My King and when she completes the task where do you want her to be placed in the court?” Khan turns his back to Ares and begins to walk back up to his throne, “Ares there is no place for her. After she does what I bid…kill her and anyone else in your way.” Ares takes his orders, turns on his heels and leaves the great hall.

                                                                                 ***

         It has been a few days since Ares left to try and convince Denise to work for them. Since he got word of Renee’s death he has not left the Great Hall. He eats and sleeps sitting in his throne rarely leaving the room for anything other than to bathe. He keeps his servants out and the curtains drawn both day and night. Darkness has flooded his heart and it has consumed him entirely. He has convinced himself that he will be avenging Renee by killing Niki. He sits in his throne with his head tilted down and eyes closed. He hears the door creek open and pays no attention to it. Ares steps through the door and sees his King sitting slumped slightly over. He walks down the carpet runner trying not to make too much noise. He kneels and Khan raises his head, “My King, we have a new development.” Khan whips his head up rubbing his face, “Tell me Ares.” He motions for Ares to rise and he follows. “The girl has been bonded…to the son of Denise.” Khan’s eyes widen and he stands erect from his throne. “What do you mean she has been bonded?! Is Denise conspiring against me!?” He stomps down from his throne and heads towards the front door. He rushes out and Ares chases after him down the long corridor. “My King, Denise did not know that this would happen. She did not plan for this. I have spoken with her and I do believe that this was unplanned.” Khan stops in his tracks and turns to Ares. “So you take the word of this wench!? She is a Mystic you idiot she can read the future! You have gathered no other evidence?!” He starts to take steps towards Ares and he back away from him slowly, “My King, I spoke with Niki’s father…well I used my talents and made him talk.” Khan begins to smile and throws back his head laughing, “Oh Ares you never fail me! What did the Father have to say?”