Chapter 5

Our breaktime is just 30 mins, it quickly went by

Our breaktime is just 30 mins, it quickly went by. We go to our next class, the most awaited subject of all time, Criminal law and yeah I was kidding when I said it's the most awaited subject..

"Okay! Let's start the recitation. Let's call on Moon Yuri, Chun Lliana, and Lee Heeseung, please stand up". Yuri stood up first before I followed, then followed by Heeseung.

"Let me give you the instructions first, when I call your name, you just have to answer it. You have 2 chances, If you didn't answer it within 5 seconds you're automatically eliminated. The two people that will stay standing will have another question for you to prove that you deserve that spot. If you don't answer it, the person who is eliminated will have another chance to steal the question. If it is answered correctly, I will give the final question and whoever answered it correctly will move together with that other person. I am clear?". The three of us nodded to Mr. Jung.

"Okay! Let's start!". Mr. Jung looked at me and smirked.

I can feel the tension around the room. The attention of other students is on us. I close my eyes and let out a sigh.

"Moon Yuri, state the common law of nine major felonies-"

"The nine major felonies is robbery, murder, manslaughter, rape, sodomy, larceny, arson, mayhem, and burglary". Yuri answered confidently.

"And what is there various misdemeanors, Lee Heeseung-"

"Examples of these are assault, battery, false imprisonment, perjury, and intimidation of juries". He answered. I get ready myself since I know that I'm next.

"What is principal of first and second degree- Chun Lliana".

"Principal of the first degree is the person who actually committed the actual crime while the second degree is the person who pushes or encourages the person to do that crime". I exhaled after I answered the question.

The recitation kept on going, Yuri already lost 1 chance, the same with Heeseung. I already lost two chances, meaning I'm already eliminated waiting for my turn to steal the final question.

It's getting more intense, even the other students who're not participating are tense too.

"For the final question, What law should apply if I was accused or I'm being punished just because of my status- Yuri". The room filled with silence. I looked at Yuri furrowed forehead.

"Steal the question? Ms. Chun?". I quickly get up and answer the question confidently.

"It's stated in the law that people can't be punished based on their status in life example of this is homeless people. It is explained in Robinson v. ****, 370 **. 660 (1962), any statute that criminalizes the status of a person inflicts a cruel and unusual punishment in violation of the Eighth Amendment and Fourteenth Amendment". I breathed and looked around the room. They all looked at me amused.