Chapter 5: Duke Lengrid

Start from the beginning

He thought that was the end. But he soon found out that woman was carrying his child. He didn't want to give that woman the title as his wife. He didn't want that woman, who only craved for his status, to get her ways.

But he ended up not needing to deal with her at all. Since she died.

He decided to keep the child that woman gave birth to.

His son is 6 years old. Two years older than Charlotte.

"Good afternoon your highness the princess of the empire." Duke Lengrid bowed to Charlotte.

"Greetings duke Lengrid. It's a pleasure to meet you." Charlotte curtsied in an elegant yet cute manner.

"Please princess, just call me uncle." Duke Lengrid smiled.

"Haha. Okay uncle." Charlotte nodded happily.

She, as Eleonora, never hated Caden. The Lengrid family are close friends with the Vandelle family. But in the end they took Lucas's side and even helped take down the Vandelle family.

It was not known by many people, but after Eleonora was abandoned by Lucas, the Vandelle family was actually thinking of having Caden as Eleonora's new fiance. But of course that didn't ended up happening.

He declined, publicly, and proclaimed his eternal love for Sasha.

Eleonora was yet again humiliated for the reason of being declined by a man...

Remembering such betrayal, Charlotte's smile twitched.

*************

That night, Sasha experienced a strange nightmare.

She was walking around a grand mansion. Her mansion. The one Lucas gave her.

But it was just her. No one else was present. Not a single sound could be heard aside from her light footsteps, unsteady breathing, and heartbeat.

She felt a strange feeling  Somewhat similar to deja vu. But not quite.

It was all the same until she arrived at the 2nd floor's hallway. The left side were the rooms and the right side were the big and wide windows.

The moonlight shined through and comforted Sasha. It no longer felt so strange and lonely.

Then something strange happened. She could now hear the sound of crickets. Sasha merely shrugged it off.

"What are you doing up so late lady Sasha Grey?" Sasha suddenly heard a voice.

"Ah!" Sasha flinched and turned back only to see Eleonora.

Eleonora wore a black nightgown. Her long straight black hair were let lose and it draped down her shoulders. Her beauty outshined the enchanting moonlight.

There was no smile on her face. But she didn't seem unapproachable. That was merely her temper. Calm and quiet. She's not the type to try to draw too much attention or trouble.

Sasha knew this was a dream. At this moment she was scared. Was Eleonora coming to haunt her in her dreams?

But for some reason... She couldn't take hold of her mouth. It's like her dream self was speaking for her.

"Lady Eleonora... Apologies for my reaction. I have let you seen a joke. You frightened me slightly..." The dream Sasha exclaimed shyly.

"Oh then I should be the one to apologies. I did not mean to frighten you. I just couldn't sleep and I thought tonight was so beautiful that I had to take a walk to enjoy it. This mansion... It's quite beautiful, isn't it lady Sasha?" Eleonora gazed out the window and smiled.

Wait this... Wasn't this the time where...

Sasha remembered exactly what happened that night.

"I.... I know that you don't like me lady Eleonora! And... I understand! You love Lucas and... Unfortunately so do I! But I beg you, please leave Lucas alone. I... He loves me!" Dream Sasha lashed out nervously and impulsively.

"Love? Me? Love him? No... That's not it. Our engagement is merely out of convenience and advantage. I harbor no such feelings." Eleonora refused to accept the fact that she loved Lucas.

She felt embarrassed. This wasn't right. Their engagement is an arrangement. She knew better than to fall in love and yet...

"Then why can't you-"

"Lady Sasha... I advice you to let go of those feelings you have for his highness. No matter what, he is still my fiance. I don't want trouble. It would be better for the both of us." Eleonora turned away and started to walk away.

"Lady Eleonora you can't keep us apart forever! Stop chaining Lucas to you by your family's power! We are meant to be!" Dream Sasha cried out teary eyed.

Even though their distance was quite far, Sasha could still hear Eleonora let out a sigh.

Eleonora paused for a moment before turning her head around and staring at Sasha with her cold blue eyes.

Her eyes were filled with complex emotions. Anger, sadness, and embarrassment.

Eleonora stared at her for only a moment. Then she just resumed walking away.

That moment, Sasha could finally control her dream self. She immediately ran towards Eleonora, who has already disappeared into the dark hallway. But Sasha still followed.

She was soon enveloped by the darkness and all turned to black.

The walls of the mansion could no longer be seen. Just darkness everywhere.

"Eleonora?" Sasha nervously called when suddenly cold blue eyes appeared all around her. Those eyes were staring at her just like Eleonora did.

Some of the eyes were big and some were small. They were just everywhere.

Sasha was horrified and tried to run away. But no matter how far she ran, those cold blue eyes just kept appearing.

Sasha ran and ran... Until she slipped and fell.

"Ha!" Sasha gasped. She was now awake.

Feeling slightly spooked, Sasha got up and walked outside her room quietly. But she saw no one outside, which scared her.

"Mom? What's wrong?" Sasha heard a cute voice from behind.

"Lottie...? What are you doing up so late?" Sasha's gaze subconsciously landed on Charlotte's eyes. She breathe a sigh of relief after seeing the innocent adoration and light in Charlotte's eyes.

"It's nothing Lottie... Mom just experienced a nightmare. Go back to bed, you shouldn't be out here at night. How did you even come here? Shouldn't someone be accompanying you to sleep?" Sasha turned back to re-enter her room.

"Oh well that maid fell asleep and I was bored. So I decided to come here." Charlotte giggled.

"Haha. What's so interesting about coming here? Watching mom sleep?" Sasha thought nothing of it and laughed, thinking Charlotte was merely messing around.

"Yes. I like watching mom sleep." Charlotte's expression grew cold. But she was still smiling.

"What? Why...?" Sasha immediately froze and stopped laughing.

"I just like seeing mom's eyes close. Mom, did you know how vulnerable you are when you sleep? One is most off guard when they are asleep. You wouldn't even know if someone came in and killed you. Mom looks so peaceful when she's asleep. Mom almost looks dead." Charlotte explained, her smile didn't fade.

"I... Mom is going to go back to sleep now. Go back Lottie... It's not good for a lady to stay up so late..." Sasha rushed inside and locked the door immediately.

But before she did, she heard her daughter say "goodnight empress mother."