Chapter 53. The Trial ☾

Start from the beginning

"Now, her proper name is Nymphadora," Sirius began. Tonks quickly swatted him away. Draco smirked.

"Nice to make your acquaintance, Nymphadora."

"Don't call me that. I already have to deal with Remus, Sirius, and Snape trying to call me that."

"All the more reason." Draco smiled.

They left soon after and continued on to muggle London. They walked down the street and made it to the subway station. Harry noted once again that Mr. Weasley held his wand in his pocket. Draco spent his time on the walk in awe of his surroundings. The subway both confused and fascinated him.

They made it to the Ministry of Magic. Harry and Draco squeezed into the phone booth and were taken with Arthur down to the atrium. They had their wands registered and they began to walk toward the auror office. They stopped in and said "hello" to Shacklebolt. Draco thanked him for coming with the rest to rescue him. Shacklebolt said to think nothing of it. He also handed Arthur The Quibbler, telling him that a certain someone might like the article on Sirius Black.

They continued down and reached Arthur's office. Harry was trying his best not to mention the fact that the time and place of the hearing had been changed. He knew he should not know this information, but he would rather not deal with the anxiety of all that would occur because of the change.

Arthur was soon made aware of the changes for the hearing. He anxiously ran with Harry toward Courtroom Ten, where the trial was to take place. Draco took all this in while they ran about through the ministry. Harry Potter never seemed to have a normal life, by far. He was currently at the ministry trying to defend himself in front of the entire Wizengamot over a silly little patronus charm. Life was not fair to the boy.

They arrived at the courtroom.

"Go on," Mr. Weasley panted. "Get in there."

"Is Draco allowed to come with?"

"No, No. I'm afraid he's not. Good luck!"

Draco and Harry nodded. They understood each other. Draco would be waiting for Harry to come back.

Harry was taken aback once again at the size of the courtroom. It was more like a dungeon, but Harry did not have time to consider all this.

"You're late." A cold, male voice rang across the courtroom.

"Sorry," said Harry nervously. "I was not made aware of the time change."

"That is not the fault of the Wizengamot," said the voice. "An owl was sent to you this morning. Take your seat."

Harry had to wonder if it was not Dumbledore who had redirected the owl so that he would not make it in time. It would make him more dependent on Dumbledore's help, and Dumbledore would look like the hero.

"Very well," said the man, who he now recognized as Fudge. "The accused being present, finally, let us begin. Are you ready?"

"Yes sir," said an eager voice Harry knew. It was Percy.

"Disciplinary hearing of the Twelfth of August," said Fudge in a ringing voice. Percy began taking notes at once. "Into offenses committed under the decree for the reasonable restriction of underaged sorcery and the international statute of secrecy by Harry James Potter, resident at Number Four Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey."

They began the court case. Dumbledore showed up as he did before. He argued that it was perfectly reasonable for Harry to use magic, as he was protecting himself and his muggle cousin, who already knew about magic. He brought in Arabella Figg, which still surprised him. She was not even there! How could Dumbledore justify this perjury? He understood why Severus could not testify-it would compromise his position with the Death Eaters and Tom. But lying to the Wizengamot? That seemed a little extreme.

The Wizengamot decided that Harry was not guilty and redacted his sentence. Instead, they agreed to start an inquiry into why Harry was attacked by dementors in a muggle neighborhood.

Harry left rejoicing. He told Draco all about how he got off. Draco congratulated him and they both laughed. They walked out chattering away, and Harry caught sight of something he knew would make his friend sick.

"Draco?" Lucius crooned softly. Draco stopped dead in his tracks.

"Malfoy?" Draco returned.

His father looked incensed. "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same question. However, I am here to support my friend."

Lucius sneered. "You are to return home immediately."

"You have no right to me."

"I do believe you are my heir, Draconis. I have every right…"

Draco shook his head.

"No, not anymore. I want nothing to do with the House of Malfoy. Disown me if you have to, but I will no longer belong to you." Draco began to walk away. Lucius turned red before going back to his aristocratically pale features.

"Your mother will be displeased to hear so."

Draco shook his head and sneered. "We both know that's not anywhere close to the truth."

Harry smirked.

"If you're here for anything, Malfoy, know that you will have to go back empty-handed. Draco is under the protection of the Potter and Black houses."

Lucius was caught off guard by that.

"What?"

"Just a thought," Harry answered cryptically. He took Draco and made for the atrium. Lucius grabbed Harry's arm.

"You will pay for this." He sneered.

Harry shook his arm away.

"I'd like to see you try."

They left and headed to the atrium. There, Remus and Tonks waited for them. They grabbed their wands and left, both feeling like a load had been taken away from them.

CHAPTER END
PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT
SEE YOU SOON
LOVE, ESHA❤