Chapter 53. The Trial ☾

Start from the beginning

The next morning, Harry and Draco woke up at half past five. Molly had laid both of their best muggle clothes on their beds. Draco just shook his head.

"I'm not wearing this."

Harry sighed. "We have to go through muggle London to get to the ministry."

"Fine, but for the record, I was not for this."

"Duly noted," Harry agreed.

They walked quietly down the stairs past Kreacher's ancestors into the kitchen. They had expected it to be empty, but it was not. When they reached the door, they heard the soft rumble of voices on the other side, and when they pushed it open, they saw Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Sirius, Remus, Severus, and Tonks sitting there almost as if they were waiting for them. All were fully dressed except for Mrs. Weasley, who was in her dressing gown.

She leapt to her feet the moment they entered. "Breakfast?"

"Mo-mo-morning, Harry, Draco. Sleep alright?" Tonks asked.

Harry smirked.

"Better than you, apparently."

"I've been up all night, come and sit down."

Harry and Draco sat.

"Wotcher, cousin," Tonks greeted Draco. He looked up at her.

"Blood traitor," he said causually. He quickly put a hand over his mouth. "Sorry, reflex. Do I know you?"

"Why, yes, I'm your cousin, Dora Tonks." She paused. "Wait, how did you not know who I was, yet still call me a blood traitor?"

"I'm grumpy in the mornings. Anyone I come across is a blood traitor before eight in the morning." Draco looked around the house. "In fact, I think anyone in this house right now is a blood traitor, according to pureblood standards. That includes me." He turned excitedly to his friend. "Harry! I'm a blood traitor now!"

"Dragon, I don't think that is something you should be excited about."

Draco shook his head. He turned back to Tonks.

"Wait, how am I related to you? I only have one aunt, and she can't have children."

Tonks examined him closely. She began shaking her head.

"Narcissa never even mentioned her older sister?" Tonks muttered unbelievingly.

"Yes, Bellatrix Lestrange. Aunty Bella, if you please."

Tonks shook her head again.

"Not her oldest sister, her older sister. Andromeda Black? I guess, even though disowned, I assumed Narcissa would at least mention her," Tonks said, downcast.

"Why was your mother disowned?" Draco asked, confused.

"Does Tonks sound like a pureblood or halfblood name to you?"

Draco smirked.

"Nope, it does not. However, that doesn't matter to me. Nice to meet you, cousin." Draco stretched out his hand. She took it.