nineteen

"Wow

"Wow."

"I know."

"That's..."

"Crazy?"

"A little."

Willow leaned back against the couch cushions with an exhausted groan. Loki was on the other side of her with his arms crossed and a stony expression on his face that hadn't changed the moment Sam sat across from them. There was no reaction from him when Willow began to explain the events that had brought them to his doorstep though Sam swore he saw the corner of his mouth lift when she mentioned the prison break.

"I thought finding two super soldiers on ice was bad," he said with a shake of his head.

"The word impossible has a whole new meaning nowadays," she mumbled to the ceiling.

"Wills, you look like you're gonna pass out."

"He's being nice," Loki put in, "you look absolutely terrible."

"Thanks."

"It's gotten pretty late, anyways, you should rest."

"Right, right," Willow said, getting to her feet with a loud yawn and pulling Loki along with her.

"Uh—hold up, where are you going?"

"We have a car—"

"Girl, sit your butt back down," Sam chided, "I'm not letting you sleep in the back of a car. I have an extra room you can stay in."

"You really don't have to."

"I know," he said with a grin before pointing at Loki.

"You can take the couch."

"Thrilling."

"Do people like you use blankets?"

Sam chuckled to himself as he stood up and walked down the hall.

"Hey," Willow suddenly turned to Loki, "we're putting him in a lot of danger just being here."

"Then why does he insist on helping us?"

"He's my friend. He's done a lot for me, so please behave yourself," she murmured, widening her eyes for emphasis.

He inclined his head in silent agreement.

She nodded and followed Sam, the both of them speaking in hushed tones before she glanced back at Loki and disappeared into the guest room.

"Willow mentioned that you've helped her in the past," the god of mischief said casually as the man came back into the front with a blanket, trying not to seem as if he was prying.

He was curious, though, to the history behind Willow and Sam even if he liked to pretend the super soldier meant little to him.

"Through work. Took a trip down to New York, met a lot of people there, but Willow was something else. Out of place. I just helped her adjust."