Ch.21 No cream, one sugar

Începe de la început

"Psss....hey!" She whispered to him.

No response.

After a few minutes, Birdie leaned back in her chair and went back to her book and french fries.

________________________

Ares knocked on the closed door and waited a few seconds as he heard the giggles inside. Be allowed the girls ten seconds before he turned the doorknob and peaked inside.

"Hi, dad," Cara looked over her shoulder and smiled.

"Hey, kid."

"Hi, Mr. Ares," Cara's friend, Samantha or Amber or something, smiled politely and sat up straight.

"Hello," Ares smiled back politely. "Clementine, where is my lovely wife?"

"Mom is still at work," Cara said, scrolling through her phone.

"Still?" Ares asked. "I thought she said she was supposed to be leaving early today."

"I don't know," Cara shrugged, tossing her long brown hair over her shoulder. "Dzed was in her office today."

"Oh boy," Ares let out a breath. "She doesn't call Owen unless it's something bad."

"I think she was crying."

"What?" Ares stilled and looked at his daughter. "You're telling me this now?"

"You didn't ask," Cara looked up from her phone.

Ares muttered under his breath as he opened a portal in the halls.

"I'm going to the campus," he announced. "Stay here. And don't set the place on fire."

"I might."

"That's the spirit!" Ares laughed as he opened his mind-link and ordered two of his men to be stationed outside their high rise apartment.

He knew Cara was a smart and responsible child. She had to be. Clare raised her. But he never wanted her to be without protection. Especially after the whole mess with Kiara and Skyfall, he had become almost paranoid about Cara's safety. Of course, Clare didn't know. She would tell him to simmer down if she ever found out.

Stepping through the portal, Ares arrived at the top floor of the dome and found it completely empty. All the employees had left for the day, the office lights were turned off, the student private dorm rooms were locked...it was a ghost town.

Ares turned towards his office and found the lights on. He made his way over and pushed the door open to find Clare sitting at the base of her desk with Dr. Trystan laying on the floor beside her.

"Clare..." Ares' heart began to worry. "What is this?"

Clare took a painful breath and looked up. Her beautiful eyes were puffy and ringed with red. Her bottom lip trembled and for the first time in a while Ares caught a glimpse of the young girl who had pushed her way into his life and captured his heart. He was suddenly reminded of the time he had found her just like this in her bedroom, crying by the window after he had left her at the Par festival. The memory haunted him as he drove forward and cupped her face.

"Baby," he said, searching her face. "What happened?"

"I..." Clare began to panic. "I fucked up."

"What?"

"I fucked up," Clare said once more, shaking her head as more tears rose to her eyes. "I fucked up so bad."

"Calm down, calm down," Ares pulled her onto his lap. "What happened? Why is Trystan like this?"

"She was hypnotized," Clare said looking at the woman. Her words began to jumble as she rushed to explain what happened. "Azazel hypnotized her. She faked all the reports on Kiara. I didn't pick it up. I couldn't see it. I thought she was telling the truth. How could I be so stupid? I did this. I caused Kiara to break. The prophecy is coming true."