Chapter 40

a/n: pls i do not speak italian so if any of the stuff i've translate is grossly incorrect, lemme know <3 ily

--

Chapter 40

Waking up on a plane was always disorienting.

Waking up on a jet nonetheless could really throw a person for a loop. Waking up on said jet beside someone familiar but in a that position neither of you were quite used to was just about the most mind-dizzying thing possible.

That was how I woke up. A little out of it, not entirely sure when I'd even fallen asleep, with my head on Harry's shoulder.

My first reaction was to pull away and act like it hadn't even happened – to hope that maybe he hadn't even noticed. That was of course until I realized that I was trapped beneath his head, which had dropped down to rest atop my own, his soft, brown curls brushing against my forehead.

Harry's breathing was even, calm. Every once and a while his body would tense and his rhythmic inhales would stutter for a beat with an extra agitated breath, only to relax a moment later when his pinky closed tighter around mine. Neither of our fingers seemed to have disconnected the entirety of the flight.

It was... weirdly serene. Knowing that he was resting. That he was actually getting the sleep I was certain he had missed out on the last couple of days. I had no idea what time it was or how long we'd been flying for, but as I quietly focused on the gentle rise and fall of his chest paired with the warmth of his head against mine, it happened to be the last thing on my mind.

From what the small crack in the blinds revealed, it was light outside. We'd probably been flying for at least a few hours now, meaning it had to be well into the afternoon, but given Harry's aversion to planes and his relentless disinclination to sleeping the night through, I wasn't about to wake him up. In fact, I decided to let my own eyes fall back shut, figuring I could do with a little more rest if he meant he got some as well.

Though my plans were quickly thwarted when moments later, the door on the divider separating Harry and I from the passengers in the rest of the cabin, swung open to reveal a cheery-looking Morgan sauntering her way toward us.

The noise must have awoken Harry because he jerked upwards, inhaling a long breath through his nose. He ran the heel of his palm over his eyes, glancing once around the area surrounding him while his free hand shot instinctively to the waistband of his pants, hovering over the gun I knew was tucked away there, before falling back to rest on his thigh when he realized who it was that had come in.

"It's dark in here," Morgan commented with furrowed brows before either of us could speak, plopping down in the seat across from us.

She reached forward to draw the blinds up, but I caught her wrist with a quick shake of my head. "Don't," I said quickly, feeling Harry tense beside me. "I'm... um... scared of heights. I don't like looking outside."

Morgan gave me a weird look but reluctantly dropped her hand into her lap. "Okay..." She glanced between the two of us. "Sleep alright, you two?"

"What's up, Morgan?" Harry rasped, sounding slightly annoyed.

His voice was hoarse, a little scratchy from the past few hours of disuse. Something about it wracked a shiver through me. Harry shifted in his seat, stretching his legs out in front of him with a small groan. His hand had dropped back down to rest beside mine, his pinky idly stroking mine while keeping his attention focused ahead.

"We're landing in about 10," Morgan lifted a foot to rest on Harry's knee, but he shoved it off. She laughed, rolling her eyes. "Just thought I'd be so kind as to let you know considering you were back here dozing while the rest of us were–"