Part 15. The 1940s.

Start from the beginning

Bucky ends up being right

Bucky ends up being right. To learn the new exercises that Bucky is teaching her, [Y/N] needs full concentration. She not only learns to throw the knife like Bucky, but also to dodge and block these attacks. Both are so absorbed in training that they don't even notice that they are training for several hours.

Only when Bucky trips [Y/N] and she lands on the hard mat, not getting up again because she's too exhausted, they end the training. Bucky sits down next to her on the mat and tries to catch his breath as well. Sweat is dropping from his face, his hair that he tied to a bun feels sweaty as well and the sleeveless top he's wearing clinches onto his muscles. He moves his eyes to look at [Y/N] and sees a satisfied smile on her lips. He's in awe, thinking that she's amazing. She learns quickly and has a lot of stamina. Unexpectedly, he ended up enjoying the training with her and has not spent a single thought about his inner demons. "Well done" he compliments her, still a little breathless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The days pass and become weeks as something like everyday life arises in the new quarter of the small Avengers group. They are still considered traitors to the government, so their days are mostly spent at home. Bucky and [Y/N] train together at least once a week and he has managed to keep her from being afraid of close combat exercises. And aside from training, they have grown closer in their private lives, too, spending more time together than before. Around [Y/N], Bucky is more approachable, more talkative and more relaxed. She has a calming effect on him that not even Steve has but on the other side, it was always Bucky who looked out for Steve and sometimes it still feels weird that it's the other way around now.

[Y/N] sits with Steve in her room, playing a card game and talking. Days like this have become rare somehow, even though there is not much else to do.
It almost naturally happened that after [Y/N]'s confession they would train even more. At least [Y/N] trains more. She wants to prove to everyone and herself that she can master close combat without getting flashbacks or using her powers. But without realizing it, she threw herself into training to distract herself. She hadn't lied to Bucky a few weeks ago. She no longer had nightmares. But that had changed after her confession. It's not every night but whenever [Y/N] has a nightmare, she trains most of the day to silence the noises in her head. Not wanting to worry anyone, she keeps it a secret.

Steve looks up from his cards, his left eyebrow raised as he tries to figure out if he could win. "We're just playing Uno, Steve" laughs [Y/N]. "Just play one of your cards."

"Alright, alright" Steve laughs and plays a red 7 on [Y/N]'s red 4. "It's nice that we're doing something again. Just the two of us, I mean. It's been a while. You're mostly with Buck."

"Do I hear a certain jealousy, Rogers?" [Y/N] teases him. "Do you miss your best friend?"

"Really fantastic" replies Steve sarcastically, rolling his eyes, but always with a grin on his lips. "Why do you have to make me sound like the jealous boyfriend? Let's focus on what's going on between you guys."