ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғᴏᴜʀ

2 April 2005
Approximately 7:18 P.M.
Tokyo, Japan

The rain fell steadily, pelting the ground and splattering around. Droplets rolled from the umbrella over your head, creating soft thuds on the slick surface. The plastic bag in your hand shifted and turned as you swung it, walking down the street. Cars passed by you, slowing politely to avoid splashing you with the water accumulating on the road. You noticed a figure standing under a tree, their hands cupped around their mouth. At first, you thought they were trying to warm their hands--it was chilly enough to see your breath--but soon saw the occasional spark from their lighter. From the brief illuminations, you recognized the angelic face.

"Sugar?"

He jumped at the sudden sound of your voice, lowering his hands as he looked up. An unlit cigarette hung from his lips, and he was surprised to see you standing there. He was drenched, that was easy to see, black hair sticking to his face, and his clothing clinging to him.

"What are you doing out here? You don't even have a jacket on!" You said, lips pulling in a frown.

He motioned to the cigarette in his mouth. "My parents would kill me. Besides, it's only a little water," He shrugged.

"You're going to get sick out here," You sighed, grabbing his arm. His skin was icy under your touch. "Come on. My parents aren't home, you can smoke in my room."

"Wait, you aren't gonna bash me for smoking?" He asked, looking down at you as he took the cigarette from his mouth. You reached into the bag and showed him the pack you just purchased.

"That would be kinda hypocritical, don't ya think?" You grinned. Geto chuckled.

"It's always the quiet ones," He said, making you laugh softly.

"Here, since you're taller, hold the umbrella," You said. Geto took it from you, and you shifted closer into his side to be kept under its shield.

"I didn't think it would start raining," He mumbled.

"Didn't you see the sky today? It was so dark and gloomy," You said.

"Not a fan of the rain?" He asked, peering down at you.

"It's okay, but, I prefer the sun. I've uh...had some...bad experiences in the rain," You said.

"Y/n! Run, get out of here!"

"No! Not without you!"

"What are you doing?! Get off her! You're hurting her!"

"Ow! Stop it! Let go! Ira-Sensei!"

"Hey, you alright?"

Geto's voice snapped you from your daze. You blinked a few times, making the images fade from your mind. You looked over at your house and stopped, causing Geto to stop as well. You placed a hand on the back of your head and smiled.

"Sorry! I just space out sometimes!" You laughed. "This is my house. Let's get inside quickly. The storm's picking up."

You opened the front door and walked inside, holding it open for Geto as well. He placed the umbrella to the side, kicking his shoes off beside yours. You walked over to the thermostat and turned up the heat.

"I have some clothes that you'll be able to fit," You said, shrugging your jacket off.

"Oh, I'll be fine--"

"You'll catch a cold if you stay in those. Besides, I can see you shaking," You said. "I'll be right back."

You walked down the hall towards your parents' room. You collected some of your father's clothes, draping them over your arm, and walked back into the living room. Geto was exactly where you left him.

"You know, it's okay to move," You smirked, handing him the clothes. "I don't bite, Sugar."

"I might," He winked.

"You're an idiot," You laughed. "Bathroom down the hall, first door on the left. Are you okay with tea or coffee?"

"Coffee's fine," He said.

You took two cups down from the cabinet, placing them onto the counter. The smell of coffee rose in the air as you poured some of the grounds into the pot, turning on the appliance as you did. You leaned against the counter, sifting through the bag placed there. You took the cigarettes out and looked up as Geto walked down the hall, rubbing the towel you gave to him over his head. You held the pack out to him, flicking a cigarette to the top. He took it with a small 'thanks' as you struck a match on the side of the box.

"I didn't take you as the type to smoke," He admitted, watching you return the pack to the bag.

"My dad's a smoker so my family doesn't think of anything when it smells like it in here," You shrugged. "Personally, I don't like the taste."

"He's a police officer?" Geto asked, making you look up. You followed his gaze to the fridge, where a picture of all of you sat. You moved the cigarette away and walked towards the fridge, plucking the picture from the magnet.

"Unfortunately," You said, passing him the photo before retrieving the creamer from the fridge.

"You don't like him?" Geto asked.

"I love my dad. He's the only reason I haven't left here yet, and probably the only reason I'm still alive," You replied, pouring the coffee into two cups. "I don't like his profession. Cops are selfish bastards who'll do anything to 'uphold the law'--" You made quotation marks with your hands. "And I hate them."

"Bad experience?" He asked, following you up the stairs.

"The worst," You muttered. "I'm sorry if any of this offends you or something but, if I could go back and kill them, I would."

Geto looked at you with surprise. You opened your door and walked inside. "It doesn't offend me," He said. Truth be told, he was curious as to why your hatred was there, but he figured something must have happened, and thought it was best not to pry.

"It's funny," You stated, climbing into the bay window in your room. Geto sat at your desk.

"What is?"

"We just met, and I've already invited you in and started running my mouth about my family. I'm sure you don't want to hear it--"

"It's fine. We're friends, right? I don't care to be a listener," He said.

The corner of your lips twitched up, and a smile broke over your face. From the street lamps outside, a yellow light was cast into the room, illuminating the features of your face. The curve of your cheeks and the slight dip in your lips. The twinkle in your e/c eyes and the glow of your s/c skin. You were enticing, and it brought Geto in each time he saw you. Your bandaged hands held the cup in front of you, the steam rolling from the cup and into the air, leaving a lingering scent.

"You know, I was right to call you Sugar," You said. "You really are the sweetest thing."

Geto smiled, and suddenly, coffee and cigarettes became his new favorite smell.