Chapter 1

I don't remember exactly when I first saw her

I don't remember exactly when I first saw her. Maybe she was always there, and I wasn't paying attention. Agnes is one of those people that you see and wanna be friends with right away. I'm not sure about her last name, or where exactly she lives, but I always catch her walking down the street, smiling and nodding while she goes. Her slightly curly hair perfectly framing her face, the impeccable clothes... She was just so adorable. I wish I had the guts to invite that woman in for a chat, a coffee, or anything that would allow me to get to know her. But I was fine just watching her from my window now and then. It was harmless and she never looked back.

-

When I woke up, the sky was already dark, and I felt kinda cold with my pretty wrinkled dress. I slept on the couch while watching tv. There was a Lucille Ball special that kept me up every night. Well, most of the nights, apparently. The doorbell rang and I got up slowly, kinda dizzy. The mirror next to my wall showed me that I was still wearing an apron, but the dress underneath was so ruined that I decided to keep it to answer the door.

Adorable Agnes was on the other side. She smiled and waved at me, with those thin and elegant fingers.

"Hey, sweetie!"

"Hi!", I replied, and she blinked "Uh, can I... help you?"

"Oh, please!" she said in a really loud voice while getting inside.

She waited for me to close the door so she could speak.

"I was just wondering if you could lend me some supplies, you know, for dinner? My friend is having a last-minute occasion, every shop is closed and I have no time to do what I usually do in those situations", she did a delicate movement with her hands.

I felt so vulnerable. One thing was to observe this woman while she was a sidewalk away, another was having her right in my living room.

"Sure, sure! What do you...", she got a piece of paper from inside her cleavage before I could finish my sentence, and gave it to me.

Those "supplies" included a considerably large pan and several basic condiments and ingredients, so it made me think that her friend had just moved in. I got everything she needed while she stared at me along the process.

"Oh, you're such a doll! Thank you, gal!", she pointed at one of the pineapples standing on the fruit bowl. "Would you mind?"

"No, not at all!", I grabbed it and put it inside one of the bags that she was carrying.

"Well, that's it! I'll bring everything back in a snap!", she said with a smirk, looking at me before going out.

And she left. I was mesmerized. She was so charming that I wouldn't care if she took the whole house with her. I'd gladly give her my key.

I took a shower and tried to process what had happened, sitting on my porch with a glass of wine. I lost track of the time while looking at... nothing. Nothing ever happened on that side of Westview and I was used to it. Sometimes the silence can be a blessing, but when you get quiet most of the time, it's just lonely.

Suddenly I heard footsteps and wasn't so alone anymore. Agnes was across the street, walking fast and empty-handed. Usually, I wouldn't say anything. I'd be quiet, watching her go like I always did. But that wasn't an option anymore.

"How was it?", I asked, looking at her and pouring more wine into my glass, feeling incredibly brave for even starting a conversation.

She stopped and squinted her eyes, trying to imagine if I was really talking to her, I guess. It was pretty late, most of my neighbors were asleep.

"Well, hello!", she smiled and came in my direction, looking a little bit surprised. "I think it went well, yes."

"You think?", I said, looking up at her.

"Yeah, it was a... private dinner, if you know what I mean", her voice pitched and I realized what she meant.

"Good for her, then!", I raised my glass pretending to toast. "Want some?"

Agnes froze again, but for a split second. By her look, I could affirm she was deciding if that was a good idea.

Then she sat by my side, fixing her dress around her. When I was about to get up to bring her another glass, she gently pressed one of my legs and grabbed the bottle that was right behind me, her eyes locked on mine. I had no idea her eyes were that blue from up close. She laughed at my reaction (which was perplexed and completely down on my knees) and drank it up. We just stood there, drinking in the silence and looking at nothing.