Chapter 37 - The Little One

Start from the beginning

The little one squirmed around a bit, but finally looked up at Y/N nervously. "Hello," she said softly. 

Y/N could've burst into tears at how sweet Eri was. She got on her knees, beaming at the young girl. "It's nice to meet you, little lady! I love your braids! Did Mirio do them for you?"

Eri shook her head and smiled a bit, pointing behind Y/N at Shouta. 

"Ah, I see. Mr. Aizawa, she looks very pretty," Y/N beamed. 

Aizawa chuckled and knelt down next Y/N. "Eri, do you remember those photos I showed you yesterday?"

Eri nodded excitedly, coming out of her shell a bit.

"This is her."

The young girl seemed to connect the dots and she gasped in admiration. "You're Whirlwind! You have such a cool quirk!" she gushed, holding her fists tightly to her chest. "Shouta showed me pictures of you in your costume!"

Y/N's heart melted. "That's so sweet, Eri, thank you."

"Actually, Eri, Y/N doesn't have her quirk anymore," he said. Eri's smile fell and was replaced with a look of deep concern. "We've come to ask for your help. Would you be willing to help Whirlwind like you helped Mirio?"

Y/N stopped, turning to Aizawa. Her heart started pounding. What was he talking about?

Eri jumped up from Mirio's lap. "Yes, I can help!" She said, fiercely determined.

Y/N's mind was racing at a million miles a second. What was going on? 

Aizawa noticed the confusion on her face, and turned back to her to elaborate. "Eri's quirk allows her to rewind individuals bodies to different states. She's been practicing very hard, and yesterday, she was able to bring Mirio's quirk back," he said. "If she does the same for you, we may be able to restore your abilities."

Y/N's world was spinning, and a new ember sparked in her stomach, spreading heat through her limbs. Energy and adrenaline began pumping through her bloodstream again, and for the first time in days, she felt hope. 

She could be Whirlwind again.

"You... you can really do that?" Y/N breathed.

Eri nodded at her, reaching out and grabbing Mirio's hand (or his thumb, rather, because his hand was much bigger than hers). "I helped him yesterday. I can help you today," she said, and with her other hand she grabbed Y/N's.

Tears started welling in her eyes, and she couldn't help herself. She wrapped her arms around Eri, this young girl becoming her light at the end of the tunnel. Eri's timid hands hugged her back nervously as Y/N buried her face in her shoulder and cried. Mirio seemed to be holding back a few tears too at the wholesome scene in front of him.

When she pulled away, Eri looked a bit scared. "I'm sorry Eri, I just... I'm really happy," Y/N reassured. "I hope it's okay that I hugged you."

Eri nodded in understanding. "Oh, okay! I thought it was a sad cry." She shuffled back and forth between her feet. "And, I like hugs, so it's okay." Mirio laughed at that.

"So... how does this work?" Y/N asked. "It was a while back when I lost my quirk. Several months. Is that going to make it harder on her?"

Aizawa shook his head. "Eri can perform her abilities very quickly, despite however long ago she reverses you back to. Yesterday when she used her quirk on Mirio, it took only a couple of seconds."

Y/N nodded silently, thoughts spinning in her head. It was that easy? After months of grieving and suffering, it was going to be this... simple?

"However, in order to reverse you back to that state, your body will experience any injuries again in the reversal process. You had a stitch on your stomach, correct? You'll experience that wound opening and closing again as she reverses you closer and closer to that specific point in time."

It made sense, but Y/N didn't care. In only a few minutes, she was already willing to trust Eri with her life. "I'll do whatever I need to," she agreed.

"Eri, are you ready?" Aizawa asked.

Eri stepped away from Mirio gently, approaching Y/N. She raised her small hands, pressing them against Y/N's cheeks and closing her eyes softly, focusing hard.

Y/N couldn't believe what was happening. She had to be dreaming. Was she really going to get her quirk back? Could she be a hero again? It was all happening too quickly, and she was struggling to process it. Just this morning she was feeling powerless, but now... she let her body relax and excitement rushed through her.

An odd sensation started bubbling within her. Tingling jolts shot all through her body. She was too scared to open her eyes, but she could actually feel her body changing. There was a bright light coming from her, she could tell even with her eyes closed, and her heart raced with the reversal. 

A sharp pain returned in her side, excruciating for only a few seconds before it stopped, and then a new sensation.

She felt it. She felt the difference in her body as her quirk became a part of her again. She had never noticed the difference until now, but it felt silly that she hadn't. It was such a strong switch that she almost fell backwards. Her quirk felt like it was radiating within her, providing a familiar sensation of power and energy that she hadn't realized how badly she'd depended on. Chills raced through her, then Eri's hands left her cheeks and it was done.

Y/N blinked her eyes a few times and held out her hand.

A small whirlwind sprouted in her palm.