Chapter 18

I know this has been a long time coming but one year since I started this I have finished. My thanks to Ali this marks the end of my partnership with her and I thank her from the bottom of my heart.

Chapter 18

Later he would wonder how he had remained outwardly so calm at George's words. It was a fantastic illusion, for his whole being was consumed by a wave of conflicting emotions. White hot anger warred with pain so sharp that it almost brought him to his knees. A desire to lash out and hit somebody hard was followed by an overwhelming need to be held and comforted. Adrenaline surged through him making him brave beyond words and yet he had never been as scared in his entire life.

A stranger's hysterical voice brought everything back into sharp relief.

"He's one of em. He's the bastard who drove us to the party the one I were raped at." Mandy flew forward hands lashing out at him.

Inspector Gently moved quickly to restrain her.

"No he isn't, he has been working undercover for us. WPC Baker, take Mandy through to my office."

Ricky waited until the door to the office had shut before he spoke.

"Do you have any idea where she might be George?"

"We are working on it. I want you to go home and let us do our job."

"George, that isn't going to happen," Ricky said.

"Yes it is and if you don't I will lock you in a cell until this is over. Your choice." Gently's tone was mild but Ricky was not deceived, for his gaze was pure steel. Fine he'd leave the station. It would be easy to give the old bill the slip once he was home.

*********

"Are you sure about what you are saying man?" Ricky asked.

"Aye I am, why?"

"You saw the Jag that followed us to Birmingham in Beaufort Crescent, parked on the drive of the big Georgian pad on the corner."

"I said I did, why is it so important?"

"I'm gan over there, if it's the place I think it is it belongs to Walter Brindle and you know who he is."

"The... Jesus Ricky man, if he's involved there's no telling who else is. I don't reckon youse should be gan over."

"Those bastards have Alexandra..."

"Think man, who knows who else is in on this? It's a fool's game to go over there. You'll end up being framed for summat or murdered youse self"

"I can't just sit here especially suspecting what I do. Who'll help Alexandra if I don't?"

"Ricky man you have to face it, she's almost certainly dead."

"No I won't believe that. I'd know you see, I'd know inside. Now are you gan help us or not?"

"Aye we're marras. What do you want to do pull the same stunt as before?" Dave said resignedly.

"Aye... and thanks yer right we are marras. Now listen this is important. Give us a twenty minutes head start and then I want you to leave. Gan straight to George Gently and tell him where I am. Don't talk to anybody else do you understand?"

"Aye Ricky but can youse trust Gently...I mean he's a cop?"

"I know, but yeah I trust him."

*************

Mandy was tired, she'd been looking at photo's for more than an hour, but the man who'd raped her wasn't there.

"Just go through em one more time love."