But Grace was her champion.

"You know I am a good judge of character!" Grace cried, her voice slightly muffled through the door.

"Not in this instance!" replied Adam vehemently.

"He deserves the chance to be heard! Just listened to, Adam. That is all I ask!"

"Oh, you ask a great deal more than that," hissed Adam.

Susanna did not think that she had ever heard her brother argue with his wife thus before, and it did grieve her to know that she was the reason.

"I ask no more than that," retorted Grace. "Take her to Piccadilly Circus and allow him to speak, to say what he meant to that day at the pond. You and I both know that there was something that he wanted to say, and there was genuine grief in his eyes. He is not the same as that Mr Bishop. I would stake my life on it."

"Do not say such a foolish thing," snapped Adam. And there was silence for a moment.

Susanna peeked through the keyhole and saw that her brother had brought Grace into his arms and was pressing his face into the top of her head. He didn't like that she'd bet her life. Grace's arms had looped themselves around Adam's waist.

"I know you care not for such things as stations," Grace murmured. "I am the evidence."

Adam's arms tightened around Grace. "I would not care if the man had three eyes and a tail if he would make Susanna happy," he replied. "After everything that happened between us, being separated because of such senseless things like birth and wealth ... I will have no part in it. It matters not to me what the man looks like. What matters to me is whether or not he will hurt my sister. And he has done, most grievously."

"This will hurt her more," urged Grace, "the not knowing. Please," she asked earnestly. "Allow him to speak, to explain. If nothing comes of it, then I pray it will bring Susanna some closure. But if I am right, and I suspect that I am, it will make Susanna the happiest that she has ever been."

Adam was quiet for a long moment as he pondered, and Susanna's felt her heart quicken in anticipation. Even if her brother refused, she would still be going. She would find a way ... bribe one of the grooms to saddle a horse for her. London was only thirty miles. In which direction, she did not know, but she would find out.

But finally, after what felt like an age, Adam uttered, "Very well."

***

They were away early the next morning. The purpose for this being to avoid any conflict with Cecily. A note had been left, of course, and Grace had assured Adam and Susanna both that she could handle to repercussions.

Susanna felt her nerves growing as the carriage drew closer to London. She sat practically on the edge of her seat, pulling at the cuffs of her dress, nearly pulling apart the seams, just to distract her racing mind.

"It's not too late, you know," her brother murmured. "We can turn back."

"I want to see him," replied Susanna immediately. "I need to see him."

"You do know that everything I do, I do to protect you, to look after you, don't you?"

Susanna turned to look into her brother's eyes. Adam's brows were furrowed with concern. She had always looked up to Adam and depended upon him, throughout her life. And despite vexing her at times, ignoring her and chiding her as brothers did, Adam had never once let her down. She knew that this quest went against his better judgement, but he was accompanying her to make Susanna happy.