IX.

So try and collect yourself now,

It's just a euphoric comedown.

When you've wanted something for so long and then you finally get it, it takes some time to settle that in.

That was how he feels: years of waiting for her, actually having his feelings returned officially as her boyfriend felt euphoric.

Things doesn't change much between them because Naura has always spent nights with him and always asks him for a hug after a long day and always tells him how her day had been, but sometimes he takes a second to process that she was kissing him.

And while that stems from his own amazement and his lack of capability in processing the overwhelming feeling of relishing his win, it doesn't seem like that to her. The brief moment that he spends trying to comprehend her love seemed like hesitations to her, like regret.

"You're realizing that you don't actually want me," she said one day, tear pooling under her eyes and wetting her lashes. "You're realizing that after all this time, you've finally had me and you don't want me anymore"

He reached out a hand, wiping the tear that dropped into her rosy cheek. "No, Naura."

She placed her hand on top of his, removing it, but not letting go once it dropped into her lap. "It's okay if you do. It's not your fault, I know I'm never going to be enough for anyone, let alone someone as good as you."

She tried to sound strong, but the hurt was apparent by the way she gripped his hand like she didn't want to let go, even if her words say otherwise.

"I wanted you then, and I still want you now. You're enough. More than enough, really," he assured her, moving his thumb up and down on her palm to calm her down. "It's just... I waited too long for this. For us. And to actually have it happen, it will take a long time to get used to as well. I'm sorry if it seemed like I hesitate to kiss you back or to act like a proper boyfriend to you. Sometimes it still takes me by surprise that I am, indeed, your boyfriend."

She looked at him unblinking, the tears slowly drying and leaving crack patches across her tired face. "That's impossible."

He smiled, understanding where she was coming from. "No, it's not."

"It's impossible to love someone that much," she claims, pulling her hand away from his grasp to wipe her tears. "Especially to love me that much."

At that moment, all he wanted to do was pull her into a hug. But seeing her state and the way she took her hand from his, he tried telling himself that maybe she doesn't need that. Yet. "You came from a hurt place, and I understand that. But I'm here now, I'll help you see that you deserve as much love as you can receive, Naura."

She hesitated, but after taking a deep breath, she raised her pinky to him. "Promise?"

He hooked his pinky as well, before grasping four of her fingers and raising it to his face, kissing the back of her hand. "Promise."

And as she looked up after collapsing into his hug, it was him who leaned down to kiss her. No hesitation, no pause, no second thoughts.