Interlude I

Joachim Clark is an artist, first and foremost.

The informal, amicable, laid-back personality he colours himself with, the even-tempered, easy-going expressions he paints onto his face. That's all anyone has ever seen, and it's all anyone will see. Nothing more, nothing less.

Nobody shall see the grudge, the resentment he holds so much against Simon. Nobody will know about the pent-up envy, nor the bitter taste it leaves in his mouth.

No, he shall draw himself as a considerate, reliable friend, a person people can put the uppermost trust in. An honest man who worked hard all his life.

And for what?

No matter what he tries, his art will never be as good as Simon's in the public's eyes. Even though he worked so hard, so meticulously, to perfect his style, most of the time, his pieces aren't well received, if received at all.

Meanwhile, Simon, that fool, gets all the attention and praise. It makes Joachim sick, how much he hates someone over something so idiotic. Especially since this person believes they're best buddies, who get along just swell, with little to no problems. Hell, Simon even tries his best to promote his work. He encourages him and tells people about how breathtaking Joachim's work is. He gives Joachim reassurance and comfort when things don't go well, when Joachim simply wants to sob and never touch a canvas again. He wants, he tries to tell himself he's an awful friend, a horrible person, that he should just get over it, that Simon is a good man, but no. He simply cannot.

It drives him crazy, having to stay around him. Having to watch him paint contentedly, smiling at the praises he gets from others. Enjoying himself. Liking what he does for a living.

He'll never truly know how Joachim feels. Joachim will always work hard, achieve nothing, and at least, that's what Joachim used to believe.

However,

Joachim Clark is an artist, first and foremost.

And a genius artist can sculpt the perfect destiny for himself.

It started when he was 16. One day, while they were painting together, a thought lodged itself in his brain.

"What if I kill him?".

Of course, he immediately shot down the idea. Just because he was jealous? There's no need to go to that length, and besides, he and Simon were best buds.

But a part of him felt curious. Out of all things, why murder? Why not just... spread a nasty rumour about him? It would certainly get fewer people interested in his art, and then Joachim might have a better chance of feeling less awful about his work.

But he wasn't going to do that either. Not back then, at least.

He somehow managed to convince himself that he would get a little bit of recognition someday, and that he just had to be patient.

Over the past 4 years, his patience had grown thin. He was desperate, and would take any chance he could get.

So when Simon told Joachim about his weirdly persistent art block, he decided to take the opportunity and use it to his advantage.

His first idea was to just injure Simon badly. To the point he wouldn't be able to paint for a long while. But of course, there's the possibility he'd tell someone.

So, he had to change his plan: Part of it included a trip to Hawaii.

And there, Simon would get mysteriously murdered and Joachim would have absolutely nothing to do with it. Yes, that's right. He'd pretend he knew nothing, when really, he was the one who bore the knife. He'd be heartbroken and devastated that his best friend of 15 years was murdered while Joachim was sleeping peacefully in his room.

And of course, when he found that note Simon left when he went to take a walk, he ran to take the opportunity. Too late, it seemed, as Simon was walking with someone.

At first, he despaired; he didn't know who this woman was, if they were friends, if his plan would even work now.

When they parted, Simon and him walked to their room.

It was only when Simon was in deep sleep, that a thought, a thing, whispered newfound inspiration into his head, a message from the young boy from before, tempting, like a fruit from the tree of knowledge.

If I can make him out to be the villain, perhaps I will be praised instead.

Rushing onto the balcony, thanking whatever divine being did that for him, he smiled silently to himself.

This is absolutely perfect.

Joachim Clark is an artist, first and foremost.

And a perfect artist must be able to paint tragedy.