Power of the King

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka

I was walking out of the dormitories and heading to the campus for morning homeroom. I followed along my usual commute in the morning. The scenery was beautiful as ever, as spring was emerging out of the corner. The trees and grass were flushed with green, the animals in the park were running about. If I could, I would have stayed here and enjoyed the view.

But I was in a rush this morning since I woke up later than usual. Homeroom starts at 8 and it was currently 7:55 AM. The average time walking from the dormitory to class would be around ~13 minutes. 

I could have sprinted and gotten there in less than a minute, but I didn't feel the need to exert any of my energy. Besides, the beautiful scenery and calm atmosphere are greater than making it to class on time.

'I guess Horikita and Haruka are going to scold me for being late today' I thought to myself.

Just imagining the dreaded compass that always accompanies its master sent shivers down my spine.

As I was thinking of an optimal excuse to get me out of Horikita's wrath. I came across a ragged old man dancing by himself near one of the park's benches. 

He doesn't appear to be a faculty member or a worker here. His clothes gave off an impression that he was homeless. My guess was he snuck in somehow, and now is dancing like crazy. This was probably due to him being on drugs.

 This was probably due to him being on drugs

(My man vibing)

I noticed that I was about to cross paths with him since we both were on the same cemented walkway. I continued following the path, hoping that he doesn't notice me.

But if he does, I can use this as a perfect excuse as to why I was late. I can accuse him of touching my no-no square. That was something Haruka taught me while I was with the group.

As I was about to pass him, he suddenly stopped dancing and sent his gaze over in my direction. I also stopped when he changed his behavior. He was quietly staring at me, it looks like he was analyzing me from the bottom-up. I just stood still and also sent a confused stare back at him.

Finally, he decided to break the silence and speak for the first time.

"Do you seek the power of the king boy? " The man questioned with a rough tone.

'Power of the king?'

Before I could let out another thought, he continued

" Do you wish to have absolute obedience from anyone? " He added on.

"What are you talking about?" I asked him, with a mix of interest and annoyance.

The power of the king? To have absolute obedience? At first, I assumed that he was just enjoying his life as a hobo. But now I know that he is definitely a hobo on drugs.