Chapter 25

"Would you guys mind telling me about growing up in the 30s and 40s?" Evelyn asked, looking at the two men. "Unless you are tired and I will let you go rest."

"Of course Doll what would you like to know?" Bucky asked looking down at her.

"Whatever you want to share with me," Evelyn smiled.

The two men started talking about growing up together in Brooklyn. How the depression and prohibition affected them growing up. How after Steve's parents passed he moved in with Bucky and how they still relied on Bucky's mom to cook for them because they were both horrible cooks. How they both started the enlistment process after the bombing of Pearl Harbor and how many times Steve had tried to enlist in different bureaus until he was chosen the night before Bucky shipped off.

They were laughing and arguing about a story when Steve looked down at Evelyn to tell an embarrassing story about one of the women Bucky had picked for a double date when he saw she was leaning against Bucky in the crook of his arm and a small smile was on her face as she slept. Bucky followed his eye line and looked down at her and smiled.

"I didn't realize she had fallen asleep," Bucky said grinning.

"Buck, you can't let this one go," Steve said leaning back on the couch shaking his head. "If you do - I'll steal her before Sam can."

Bucky let his hand fall down and his fingertips run up and down her arm. He smiled as she snuggled against him subconsciously. "I have no intention of letting her go Steve."

"Good. Don't wait too long. She may realize she's too good for you," Steve laughed

Bucky looked at his friend and smiled but looked back down at Evelyn and bit his lip, "I don't want to push her. I've waited 70 years to find a woman like her. She hasn't been here two weeks yet and that's after spending 5 years in hell."

"Buck, everyone here sees how the two of you look at each other. You have both been waiting far too long for something good to happen to you. Let yourself have something good," Steve said, narrowing his eyes at his friend.

"What about you Steve? You deserve to be happy and have someone too," Bucky said. It didn't feel right that he may have a chance at his happy ending but Steve was alone.

"I - I'm fine Buck." Steve said, shaking his head. "Don't change the subject"

At that Evelyn let out a small sigh and her left arm wrapped around Bucky's waist. Bucky held his breath as Steve let out a small laugh. "Man, she's hugging you in your sleep. I think that it's safe to say she likes you."

"Uh Steve - what do I do?" Bucky said, still not moving. He didn't want to wake her and risk her letting go of him.

"How the hell should I know?" Steve rolled his eyes, "you're the one with the experience with women."

Bucky flipped his friend off which made Steve laugh loudly making Evelyn stir. Bucky then glared at Steve who smacked his hand over his mouth to try and quiet it.

"I'm sorry guys did I fall asleep?" Evelyn asked, wiping her eyes.

"Only just dozed off," Bucky said, smiling down at her.

"Oh Bucky, I'm so sorry!" Evelyn popped up off of him.

"He didn't mind," Steve said grinning

"Let's get you to bed. If you're going to run with us tomorrow you need all your energy," Bucky said offering her his hand as he got up.

"Ugh, I forgot I agreed to that," Evelyn said groaning as she got up.

"It won't be so bad - we can show you all the places that Steve got beat up," Bucky said lightly shoving Steve as the three of them walked to the elevator.

"Be nice to Steve- James," Evelyn said sternly as she wrapped her arm through Steve's.

"Yeah James - be nice to me," Steve said grinning at Bucky as he laid his head on top of Evelyn's making her laugh.

Bucky aggressively pushed the call button not looking at them knowing that they were trying to get a reaction out of him. When the elevator door opened he walked in and Evelyn snaked her arm through his too.

"Nope, none of that moodiness Sarge." Evelyn said, nudging him. "We're only teasing you."

"I hate both of you," Bucky said laughing.

Evelyn laughed as Steve let go of her arm and smacked Bucky as they arrived to their floor and ran off the elevator. Bucky let go of her arm and ran after him making Evelyn laugh harder. "Night boys!"

"Night Evelyn!" Steve said running into his room followed by Bucky "Ow - dammit Buck that was harder than I hit you."

Evelyn shook her head smiling as she walked into her room. She changed into her pajamas and went into the bathroom to wash her face. As she was drying her face she heard a light knock on her door. She pulled her hair up in a pony tail and opened the door.

"Everything okay Buck?" Evelyn asked looking up into his blue eyes; noticing that he changed into sweat pants and a tank top.

"Yeah, I just wanted to say good night," Bucky said looking at her.

She raised an eyebrow at him, "Are you sure that's it?"

Bucky straightened up, "yeah - that's it. I didn't want to be rude since I ran from the elevator."

"Okay then. Good night," Evelyn said smiling as she slowly closed the door.

"Wait-" Bucky said putting his hand up catching the door.

"Yes Buck?" Evelyn said tilting her head to the left looking at him.

"I know you have nightmares like me," he started and Evelyn kept his eye contact, "I wanted to offer to sit with you until you fell asleep so you weren't alone."

Evelyn pushed the door open and she realized her mouth was open and quickly shut it.

Bucky stood in the doorway looking at Evelyn waiting for her to say something. "I'm sorry if I overstepped. I just - I know what they are like and wanted to try to help. But I'm in my room if you need anything." He turned to leave and Evelyn grabbed his hand.

"You didn't overstep Bucky. I just wasn't expecting you to say that," Evelyn said as he turned towards her, "I'd love the company."

Bucky smiled at her, "I'll just stay until you fall asleep and I'll go back to my room."

Evelyn nodded and moved aside so he could walk into her room. She closed the door behind him and stared at the door handle for a second to try and regain breathing function. She turned and saw he was sitting on her couch and smiling at her. She walked towards her bed and got under the covers and looked over at him and laughed.

"What are you laughing at?" Bucky said leaning his arm on the arm of the couch.

"Um - wouldn't you be more comfortable in the bed?" Evelyn asked blushing.

"What?" Bucky asked, his eyes going wide.

"I'm not having the man that carried me after I passed out sit on a couch when I have this huge bed to share," Evelyn said scooting over.

Bucky shook his head as he got up and laid on the bed on top of the covers. "If you insist Doll."

Evelyn looked over at him smiling. Last night she was dreaming about the man in her bed and now she could feel the heat from his body.

Bucky smiled back at her and raised his left arm signalling her to come closer. "You were pretty comfortable on the couch against me." Evelyn blushed but didn't move towards him. "Come on Doll."

Evelyn bit her lip and decided to go for it. She leaned into him and timidly wrapped her arm around his waist. She smiled into his chest when she felt his chin rest on her head. "Thank you Bucky."

"Of course Doll," Bucky said as he kissed the top of her head softly. "Now get some sleep."

Evelyn closed her eyes and felt soothed by his breaths and the steady beat of his heart. She started to fall asleep as Bucky rubbed her back. He looked down at her and couldn't help the grin that came to his face. He lightly kissed the top of her head again and closed his eyes and fell asleep.