(y/n) knew her mother arranged for her to wed the heir to House Gojo when she turned 18, but she didn't want to marry the stuck-up Satoru!

He was so cocky about inheriting his family's cursed techniques, the first to wield all in 100 years.

The guards didn't help either as they fed into his appetite for praise as did the adults and other children.

"Gojo, have you seen Toge anywhere?"

"Nah. I heard he went home early this morning. Something to do with a fight between your mom, his dad, and their sister."

"Uncle Toshi and Aunt Seline got into a fight with my mother?" (y/n) tipped her head in confusion.

The fifteen-year-old shrugged. "Yeah. Everyone was talking about it during breakfast. Something about you being sold off to some hybrid."

(y/n) flinched at the way Satoru spat out the word 'hybrid'. "She did?"

"I dunno. Who cares! You're still the same irritating kid." Satoru yawned. "I'll be in charge of getting you to your classes this afternoon."

"What?!"

"Yeah. My dad told me I'd be taking Toge's responsibility in that since he left. How annoying."

"Rude," (y/n) mumbled.

The young pair crossed the courtyard, not knowing their parents were watching.

Gojo Katsuma shook his head with amusement as Empress Ophelia had a frown.

"Satoru really likes bothering (y/n)," Katsuma snickered. "I suppose he learns that from me."

"Yes..."

"Now. Ophelia, I hear you and your siblings got into a fight."

Ophelia looked away. "They found out about the pact I made with Choso."

"The elder of the cursed womb paintings?"

"Yes. They said it was a betrayal to my deceased husbands-especially the father of my son. Choso did kill him, after all."

Katsuma offered his arm for the expecting empress to hold on for support. "I can understand. But your second husband died because he was attacking Choso. The latter killed your husband out of self-defense."

"I know. But my siblings are still hurt from the hybrids and cursed spirits hurting our family and empire over and over again," Ophelia stressed.

At the empresses' worry, Katsuma placed her into a gentle hug.

"Oh my empress. I will ensure you that we will protect you and your family at all costs. You need not worry."

"It's not me I'm worried about," she sighed. "It's my daughter. The cursed spirits and some hybrids pledged to hurt anyone with the blood of the late emperor. Anyone with the blood of House Shi."

"And (y/n) is the last to survive, given that you and your son don't share his blood."

"Exactly. (y/n) must live."

"But the pact you made-"

"I have full trust your son and the others will be able to protect her," Ophelia said with a sharp tone. "Your son is strong, Katsuma. You should be very proud of him."

"I am. He holds a heavy weight upon his shoulders."

"Indeed. And my dear son..." Ophelia guided Katsuma's hands to her belly. "He'll need a father to look after him when I'm gone."

"Ophelia, what are you saying?"

The empresses' (e/c) eyes raged with fire. "I've been cursed to die as soon as my son takes his first breath."

"What?! Why-"

"Katsuma. I grieve that I will never see my children grow into fine sorcerers and protect their own families from this body. But I promise you this: I will be keeping a close eye on them. It is my duty as a mother and the empress to ensure their safety."

Katsuma closed his eyes. "Then I will be honored to raise your son. He will grow into a fine warrior."

"Thank you."

On March 20th, the empress gave birth to a son.

"He has his father's pink hair," a midwife muttered.

But Gojo Katsuma didn't say anything.

He was holding the hand of the dead empress, wishing that he had been able to save her.

"The boy," Katsuma said. "Is he healthy?"

"Indeed."

He closed the empresses' eyes and placed a kiss on her forehead, walking over to where the midwives were cleaning the newborn prince of the Astye Empire.

"Pink hair and light brown eyes..." Katsuma muttered. "He is indeed his father's son."

"What shall we call him?"

"Itadori. Itadori Yuji."

"You're giving the young prince the surname of his father?"

"Indeed." Katsuma picked up the boy, grief in his soul for the loss of Yuji's mother.

He had no idea how to explain to (y/n) that she would never see her mother again and that her mother died by a curse.

Just as her father and other ancestors did.

Indeed, it was a tragedy that brought a new hope for the empire that was slowly beginning to crumble.