Whispers?

After dragging himself off of what he had to call a 'bed', he slouched into the bathroom to freshen up. He put on a simple tee and jeans and went off to get breakfast.

"Morning J.J!", his mother chirped.

"Morning Ma", he replied groggily, taking milk from the fridge.

"Be quick please, you need to drop Cayden off at school and reach you're class on time; gotta have a good first impression you know!", she said cheerfully.

"Mhm"

He never really understood how anyone could be so cheerful so early in the morning, he preferred sleeping late. This wasn't the most questionable thing about his mother though, so it didn't really matter.

"I know its hard having to drop him off and reach class as soon as possible is difficult but please just... manage for a few days", his mother began "Once we have settled your dad will be the one dropping him okay?", she said smiling wearily at him.

Jamie smiled back at her.

As annoying and unusual his mother could get, he still loved her. She was the kindest woman he knew and he was quite close to her. If it hadn't been for her God knows what or how he'd be doing right now.

His brother, Cayden soon barged into the room looking like a tornado just hit him. His mother groaned and started fixing him up while scolding him.

Finishing his breakfast, he headed out the door. "Wait up!", he heard his brother behind him.

Snickering, he fastened his walk of glory.

Cayden caught up though.

"You're too"- he began whining but was immediately silenced, "I'll treat you to ice cream afterschool if you quit whining", Jamie said.

"Wait, really?", Cayden asked, eyes wide.

"Obviously not", Jamie scoffed.

Cayden's face immediately fell at that.

"Fine, I guess...", Jamie muttered. As annoying as he was, he could never see his brother's bright blue eyes in sorrow.

Cayden cheered up after and he was smiling wide, whispering something to himself.

Jamie smiled at that. The twelve year old boy was very dear to him.

Cayden's face suddenly turned to him, a curious look on his face.

"What's up?", Jamie asked.

"Were you... outside last night?"

Jamie scrunched his face, trying to remember last night's events.

"No", he said, "Not that I'm aware of, that is."

Jamie got worried.

"Why? Did you see anything or hear maybe..., did you feel something?", he started questioning.

"No...", Cayden replied, "It's just that I heard someone's footsteps and whispering... weird whispering..."

There was a moment of silence.

"It wasn't mom or dad, mom told me that her and dad had fallen asleep as soon as they hit the bed and no one left the room after that", Cayden explained looking unsettled.

"Did you make out what it said?"

"Yeah, it was something like 'Rule number 2024, traitors must face execution. And ONLY execution"

Jamie sighed.

The boy had really got him frightened for a moment.

He pinched the boy's cheeks and smiled wearily, "You were really exhausted yesterday and you had been playing that game of yours. It was probably just you."

"Maybe..." Cayden replied looking still unconvinced.

                                                      . . .