.

Extra (8)

After the dream, life continues.

****

On a cool morning at the tail end of October, a man and a woman had their arms around each other as they lay asleep on a king-sized dark blue bed. Several strands of the woman’s black hair were on the man’s face.

Soon, the woman moved slightly, as if she was about to wake up, and her hair brushed against the man’s nose, unexpectedly waking him up.

The moment the man opened his eyes, a trace of loss flashed across his eyes, and a bitter smile graced his lips. He already knew that it was a dream from the very beginning, yet he still needed to take a moment to comfort himself.

As usual, Su Hang first gently released his hold on Shen Xi’s waist. He wanted to laugh at himself. He would always end up holding her so tightly when he slept, as if afraid of losing her, but then he would always silently release her before she woke up.

“You’ve already gathered all your courage to divorce; why can’t you use all that courage to take a step forward instead?”

“Why didn’t you tell me you liked me?”

“Are you afraid I’d reject you, or are you afraid I wouldn’t be able to say no?”

Every question Shen Xi asked in his dream had shaken his heart. Yes, he really had been planning on divorcing her. After thinking about it for half a year, he only just managed to gather his courage and ask Li QingYuan to write up the divorce agreement last week. The papers were now in his study. He had planned to present them to Shen Xi today after breakfast.

But that was before he had that wonderful dream. Now, he wondered if he could try once more. After all, he was already prepared to let Shen Xi go. He was already losing everything. What else was he afraid of happening?

Su Hang hesitated for a moment, then turned to Shen Xi. However, he found that the woman who should still be sleeping was already awake and staring at him.

“What should I say?”

“Tell me that you like me.”

Dream Shen Xi had asked this from him.

“I…” Su Hang summoned whatever courage he had left, straining against the dark, pessimistic thoughts that filled his mind.

Shen Xi furrowed her brow in doubt.

“Shen Xi, I like you.” Su Hang ended up blurting the words out in one breath. After saying this sentence, Su Hang felt very afraid, as if he was facing the death penalty and was just waiting for the judge to sentence him. He was so scared, but he didn’t dare turn away and close his eyes.

Shen Xi’s looked at him in total disbelief. After what seemed like an eternity, she came back to herself and moved, wanting to sit up. As she did so, the blanket shifted, exposing some scary looking blues and purples on her body. Once she was properly sitting, Shen Xi lifted up the quilt and wrapped it around herself.

“I’m sorry…” Su Hang knew that those terrible marks were because of his rude actions last night. His heart shriveled.

(T/N: Remember, when Su Hang divorced Shen Xi, he crazily made love to her, then delivered the divorce papers the next day.)

“Excuse me?” The glimmer of joy in her eyes instantly chilled. Sure enough, she shouldn’t have gotten her hopes up.

“I’m sorry, but I like you.” Su Hang replied, his voice full of guilt.