"Well, no," Crutchie started, chuckling lightly. "But I don't know how much longer he'll be able ta stay away. He worries 'bout us too much."

"Except fa dat time when someone ended up in tha Refuge," Buttons muttered, which earned him a slap on the head from Specs.

"Crutchie's like his bruddah," Specs hissed quietly. "It only made sense fa him ta disappear when he got caught."

Crutchie frowned, seeming like he'd overheard their conversation, but said nothing.

"So, is it true?" Amy questioned, shifting nervously on her feet. "Did someone really kill that boy?"

The newsies were silent for a moment.

"We think so," Davey said at last. "It was Finch who found him first, but..."

Amy's shocked gaze darted over to Finch. The boy had lowered his head again, but she could tell his face harboured a haunted expression. "He was definitely murdered. There was a stab wound, his chest, but I couldn't find tha knife. No one else could, either, once dey came. There was also a bloody handprint on his face..."

He didn't continue, and Amy was glad for it. The thought of that poor boy's dead, bleeding body was enough to make her want to vomit.

Romeo had apparently sensed her discomfort from where he still stood behind her, and approached her, wrapping her in a tight hug.

"It's okay," he whispered. "I ain't gonna let anyone touch ya."

"Has anyone seen Romeo?"

"Yeah, we all have."

Amy sighed. "Since earlier?"

"Well..." Mike frowned, deep in concentration. "I think he went ta Medda's. I rememb-ah him sayin' somethin' 'bout it."

"Where is that?"

"Jus down tha street," replied Ike. "Jus go... well, follow tha sounds 'a drunk men, 'n ya oughta find it in no time."

Amy smiled at them, grateful for their help. "Thank you!"

But before she could get anywhere, Jojo came along and stopped her, pulling her to the side. "Amy..."

Amy frowned, listing her head to the side. He seemed concerned. "What?"

"I..." It took him a few moments to piece together whatever it was he wanted to say. "I think yer puttin' Romeo on a bit of a pedestal."

Amy took a step back, shocked. And maybe a little bit offended. "What do you mean?" 

Jojo seemed to hesitate before he answered her question, reaching for her wrists and clasping them in his hands. "Jus be careful. I don't think ya realize how... often... Rome gets around."

Amy tried to pull away, but Jojo's grip was firm. Heat rose to her cheeks, but she couldn't tell whether it was because she was embarrassed, or because she was agitated. "Romeo wouldn't do that."

"How can ya know dat?" Jojo questioned. "Look, Amy, Ise jus lookin' out fa ya."

She studied his stern face, usually so bright and playful, wondering what it was that he knew and she didn't. Wondering what it was that she knew and he didn't.

Because, surely, the Romeo she knew, so sweet and protective, couldn't have hurt her even if he tried. Because, most definitely, for the first time since she'd met him, Jojo was wrong.

He had to be wrong.

"I don't like being told what to do," Amy said firmly. "And I don't like being told I'm wrong. Now, could you please let me go?"