Ch. 14 Take me home

Start from the beginning

"If Kiara was only going after the people directly involved with project skyfall we could somehow understand her motives," Clare said, her tone clipped and impatient. "But she's going after their families too. Livia Murd was on vacation with her kids and her husband. Everyone is dead. And let me tell you something, Kiara did not make it a painless death."

"How did this escalate so quickly?" Tobias narrowed his eyes. "If you had your suspicions, why didn't you come to us sooner?"

"Because we didn't think she would be a danger to others," Dr. Trystan said from where she sat. "We thought we had time to work with her and see how we can help her."

"But she's spiraling out of control," Ares said. "She knows we're on to her and she's rushing to take out as many people as she can."

"She's not spiraling," Killian stared out the window, the words tasting bitter in his mouth.

Is my crazy showing, Killian?

"She knows what she's doing is wrong."

Clare looked up at the boy, "How can you tell?"

"None of you are seeing the picture here," Killian said, turning to face the group. "The real Kiara, the one I've known my whole life, is in there. Clare, you said it yourself. Magic has memory. This...this vengeful killing is not Kiara. She wants to leave. She's asking us to help her."

"There is truth to what you are saying, Killian," Dr. Trystan said. "There is a big chance she is acting out because the memory from her magic is pushing her. I mean, Kiara has no prior record of violence. But we have to keep in mind that Kiara and her powers are one. She had them her whole life. Who knows how much of her is actually her and how much of it is the memory from the magic."

"They're too intertwined," Ares said.

"What if we use the calix?" Posey rushed to come up with some solution. "What if we transfer her powers?"

"She won't give it up," Clare said. "Especially not now."

"She feels as if she had a mission now," Dr. Trystand explained. "To take her abilities from her would be like stripping her of her defense."

"And who would we even transfer it to?" Ares asked.

"Me," Killian said without hesitation. "You can transfer it to me. I'll give her peaceful death."

"We talked about this, Killian," Clare shook her head "It won't work like that."

"Then what do we do?" Killian wanted to scream. "What are we supposed to do? Let her suffer? She's crying out for help. I see it. I can't just sit by and not help her! Tell me what to do and I'll do it."

"There is....a temporary solution," Clare's eyes slowly darted to Tobias.

The god's dark eyes darkened immediately. The muscle in his jaw jumped as his hands balled into fists.

"No," Tobias' voice was as cold as ice.

"Tobias...." Clare started slowly. "She's not going to stop. And we don't know how to help her just yet."

The temperature in the room began to drop as Tobias glared at Clare. Dark clouds rolled over the skies outside, giving warnings of a violent storm. Posey looked over her shoulder before turning to her husband.

"What?" She asked, fearful to know the answer. "What is it?"

Killian took a step closer. He wanted to know what Clare proposed that had Tobias' grip on his calm slipping.

"Posey..." Clare turned to the woman. "You know I love Kiara very much. I would never do anything to harm her."

"What do you want, Clare?" Posey's eyes shed the light they always carried and embraced the darkness.