The Last Line of Defense

Start from the beginning

The four of them walked out of the wreckage, approaching Thanos's position.  The titan contemplated them, a smirk appearing on his face.

"You could not live with your own failure. And where did that bring you? Right back to me."

Tony approached Thanos warily, as if he were entering the lions' den. Thor, Steve and Jack fanned out, moving to surround the lone menace.

"I thought by eliminating half of life, the other half would thrive," Thanos explained. "But you've shown me that's impossible. Life clings to the past with bloody fingernails. As long as there are those who remember what was," He paused and then looked at Thor. "As long as lovers are parted, there will always be those who cannot appreciate what they have been given. They will fight."

Tony stood in defiance. "Yeah. We're all kinds of stubborn like that, aren't we?"

Thanos shrugged his massive shoulders. "If I'm being honest, I have to tell you that I'm thankful. I'm thankful for your actions. They've taught me a valuable lesson." He paused to pick up his helmet, securing it to his head. "Thanks to your lot, I know what I have to do. I will shred this universe down to its last atom. And when that work is completed, I will start anew. The Stones will aid me in creating a new world. One where the living do not question what they have lost; they will only know what I have given them. and they will be grateful for it."

Steve shook his head in disgust. "A universe born out of blood."

Thanos looked at him and regarded him with mild interest. "But they will never know it," he replied before drawing his blade back and standing to his full height. "None of you will survive to tell them. Your journeys end here."

The four men looked to each other, wordlessly conveying their preparation. Then, in a burst of warrior's rage, Thor gave the battle cry and charged forward. With his allies at his side, he led the charge to Thanos. The opposing forces collided and the effects were instantaneous. The desolate crater was transformed into the site of a furious and desperate battle. Each of the four Avengers brought with them his own approach to battle, and Thanos found himself both challenged and amused as he met their attacks with his own. Both sides knew that this battle would decide the fate of the universe, and neither was prepared to yield.

"Hit me, Point Break!" Tony shouted.

Taking his cue, Thor smashed hammer and ax together, firing a massive streak of lightning at his ally. The surge of power invigorated Tony's suit, overloading his power levels to a staggering level. Focusing on Thanos, he unleashed this upon the titan. The thick beam of power collided with Thanos, but the enemy was quicker. He raised his massive sword, propelling the blades to deflect the onslaught. Still, the force was enough to shove Thanos back, his heels digging into earth.

Jack raced forward and aimed the gauntlets of his Raptor suit, unleashing a stream of gunfire at Thanos's side. The titan snarled and pivoted his body, snatching Tony as he closed in and attempted to take advantage of Thanos's distraction. Thor threwMjolnir up into the air and swung Stormbreaker, batting it toward the titan. Closed in by his enemies, Thanos spun around, using Tony as a shield. Mjolnir struck the armored Avenger and he and the hammer went flying across the crater, kicking up debris in their wake.

Jack raced forward, refusing to let up his attack. Gunfire clattered into Thanos's armor as the titan maneuvered to shield himself from the attack. Steve slid across the earth, smashing his shield into Thanos's legs as he advanced on Jack. Unhindered, Thanos swatted Steve aside with a backhand, throwing him into Jack and sending both men to the ground.

"Now, Asgardian!" Thanos taunted. "Show me all of that heartbreak!"

Thor barreled into him, driving Stormbreaker in his direction in an effort to cleave him. Thanos deflexted the attack with his blade, then shouldered the Asgardian, forcing him through a nearby wall of debris.