seventeen

17

Why? Why? Why?

Ana's voice was now the one echoing through Torrance's control. She struggled to keep her mind from splitting back to its designated ruler for the time being.

You don't need to be wiped, you can be free! Ana cried, pounding fists against her skull. She was trying to break free, or to break out. To break out and scream and scream until she was empty again.

Torrance ignored her, grimacing as she gripped the edge of the counter with one hand to steady herself. "Hydra won't stop coming after us, even if Ana wipes herself completely away. I'll still know the code, I'll still know what it takes to reproduce the serum. Even with Ana gone, I have the knowledge they need and they'll torture me to get it."

The group sensed the shift in speaker, taking in her words even more deeply.

"Torrance, we just got you back," Steve whispered, looking like he wanted to take a step forward. She almost wanted to dare him to.

"They'll kill me too, if they even think for a second I know about them as much as I do, they'll kill me," she murmured, rubbing her head in order to somehow stop the pounding. "But if I'm a blank slate, if I'm just who I was before without all of my memories, they won't hurt me."

"You won't know that for sure--"

Ana broke out, seeping and Torrance was gone, shoved back inside. "They only want Venus, they want me and the information I have but if I'm gone and Torrance has no recollection of me, they'll step back." She turned to Fury. "You'll be able to get the word out, broadcast it, I don't give a shit, but you'll find a way to announce to the world to Hydra that we're gone. That Torrance is a nobody again."

"Can't we just think on this a little longer?" Steve begged, his shield now resting against his leg. "We don't have to do this now--"

"Yes, we do," Ana sighed. "Torrance is...right. If I'm gone and she still has her memories, nothing will stop our enemies from coming for us. But, if she's forgotten again, she'll be just like you and Buck, clueless to what's actually running through your veins."

"Wanda, can't you just remove the information about the serum?" Steve whirled on the other girl and she shrunk, taking a step back.

"I-I--" 

"Can't we just take out that information and keep the rest of you? You can't just do this after we just got you back."

"Steve, maybe we should talk alone," Ana whispered. "You and Torrance, you need to talk." She looked over to Bucky. "We'll have a moment together too, don't worry. You and me, and then you and Torrance will have your moment."

He only nodded, now having made his way to a chair. "Can we, um, talk first?"

Ana nodded and she went to his side, easing him up from the chair. He stood firm and once he had the right footing, the two found their way through the room towards the next, which was one of Tony's and Banner's old research rooms.

Ana didn't drop his hand, clutching it so close to her own heart that she could barely breathe. He had been near dead, the blood had turned a near black against their clothes and she thought, god, she thought...

His face was pale but he was here, he was alive, holding onto her hand weakly but he was there. His chest rose and fell softly but did not still. Not once. Not again.

"You're okay," she whispered, reaching out to brush his sweaty strands clear of his face. He grimaced, trying to sit up but she stopped him, shaking her head. "You need to rest, I've already contacted our supervisors, they're going to send a medic but keep you here. Just for a few days, we can't risk moving you."