Chapter 3

I ignored Cal throughout the rest of the day, and well into dinner. I just talked with Molly, loving her stories. She reminded me of Ron's mother, and I missed them dearly.

When I noticed that Cal and Ruth weren't looking, I whispered to Molly, "I'm making a run for it. Wish me luck."

She smiled wide and nodded. I left without another word, and quickly made my way down toward the deck again. This time though, I wanted to go closer to the edge. I made my way to the railing and took off my shoes. It was chilly tonight. I stepped up and sat on the edge of the railing, just listening to the ship go through the water.

I then looked up at the stars and whispered, "When you wish upon a star... makes no difference who you are...Oh Sirius. If only you could see me now..." I then closed my eyes and just sat there.

Suddenly, I heard a voice behind me say, "Don't do it."

I was surprised, and I looked behind me to see the blue-eyed man from earlier. I huffed in amusement and said, "And what am I doing?"

He looked a bit concerned and said, "Uh... jumping off?"

I laughed and said, "No. I am just sitting here relaxing. Why would you think I am jumping off?"

He came a bit closer to me and said, "Most people I know wouldn't be hanging off the end of a ship."

I snorted and said, "I'm not most people."

He smiled wide and said, "I'm Jack Dawson."

I nodded and said, "Katherine P—er... DeWitt Bukater?"

Jack's eyes twinkle in the starlight and he says, "Are you sure?"

I shrug and say, "That's what they keep telling me." I then hop back on over the railing and start putting my shoes back on and said, "Can I tell you a secret?"

He looks at me an awe and said, "Sure."

I get closer to him and motion for him to lean down. I then whisper in his ear, "I'm not who they think I am."

I saw him shiver. I then backed up and I could tell that he was slightly rattled, and he murmured, "Then who are you?"

I smirked and said, "Wouldn't you like to know?"

He grinned back and said, "Well ma'am, what are you going to do now?"

I shrugged and said, "Whatever my mind tells me to, Mr. Dawson."

He laughed and said, "You know. It's not fair. You know who I am, but I obviously don't know who you really are."

I chuckled and said, "Has anyone ever told you, you have very pretty eyes?"

He was completely caught off guard, if his slight blush was any indication, "N-no. They haven't," he stammered.

I laughed and said, "Liar! You must have a mass of women at your feet." He was completely flustered, and I snorted before saying with more seriousness, "They say your eyes are windows to the soul. Do you want to know what I see?"

He looked intrigued and said, "Yes."

I leaned in closer and said, "I see kindness. Bravery. Honesty. A true Gryffindor."

He looked fascinated, but then a bit confused and said, "What's a Gryffindor?"

I laughed loud and long and finally said, "Never you mind, Jack Dawson." I then slowly back up, watching him all the while.

He followed me just as slowly and said, "You're leaving? So soon?"

I nodded and said, "The horde awaits me."

He coughed a laugh and said, "The horde?"

I nodded seriously and said, "Yes. They await to slowly bore me to death with their drivel that doesn't matter. Then they'll give me the final blow with their ignorance of the world."

He chuckled and said, "That's too bad. Will we meet again?"

I then smiled gently at him and said, "I would like to. Would you?"

He nodded and said almost breathlessly, "I would."

I then stood straight and gave him a slight salute and said, "Till tomorrow, Mr. Dawson."

Jack huffed, "I'll see you around, Miss Kat."

I rose an eyebrow but blew him a kiss. His eyes widened, and I turned around and headed back toward my rooms, not looking back. I got into my room and started to undress for bed. I was surprised to see the door open, and Cal walk casually in.

He looked at me blankly, and said, "I know you've been melancholy, and I don't pretend to know why." I almost snorted. Melancholy? That's what he calls it? I watch as he takes out a jewelry box from behind him and he comes closer to me, "I intended to save this till the engagement gals next week. But I thought tonight, perhaps a reminder of my feeling for you..."

I sigh but open the box. It was a huge diamond necklace. It had to be worth a fortune. I was lucky I had seen many like it in mine and Sirius's vaults. I knew he could see I was unmoved. He then takes it and steps closer to put it on me. His hands feel wrong. I feel dirty having him touch me.

He looked at me while putting it on and said, "It was once worn by Louis the Sixteenth. They call it Le Coeur de la Mer, the Heart of the Ocean." He then turns me around and looks at it on me through the mirror. I honestly just feel indifferent and refused to say anything on the matter.

He finally whispers, "It's for royalty. And we are royalty." I wanted to scoff. He was nothing. He started to put his hands on my throat, and I let my magic out again, causing him to let me go with surprise.

Neither of us said anything for a moment, but his look was dark. Contemplating. Scheming. He finally said, "I don't know what's going on with you... what is happening... but let me warn you. There's nothing I couldn't give you. There's nothing I'd deny you if you would deny me." He narrowed his eyes, "Open your heart to me, Katherine."

He left before I could refute his comment, the bastard. I wasn't going to give him anything. I was a Potter, and a Black. We never submit. I took the necklace off and went to go practice my magic. I had finally gotten the hang of wandless magic. It really was all about intent. It was wordless that was getting to me. I was having trouble, but I had no doubt that I would soldier on and get it with enough practice. I finally went to bed, dreaming of blond-haired, blue-eyed man.