Why?

(So I'm sorta feeling a bit better, might wanna type this while I have the motivation...)

"Why do I have to feel this way?" Soul asks, gripping the mirror by the corners. "Cool guys don't act this way... right?"

Soul waits for a reply, but never gets one. He then lets go of the mirror's sides, and sighs in defeat.
It isn't fair to Maka.

"When is it ever?" He mutters to himself. He's startled when he hears a knocking on the bathroom door. He opens it, and sees Maka standing there.

"Maka? I thought you were sleeping."

She rubs her eyes before she speaks.

"Well I was, but then I heard you talking to yourself, so I thought I'd come check on you."

He stood there, looking at her. For some reason, his eyes began burning with the threat of tears.

"Soul? Are you okay?" Maka's face was filled with concern.

Soul nodded, afraid to say anything for fear he might start crying, he thought for a second, then shook his head.

"What's wrong, Soul?" She asked, stepping closer.

Soul backed up, took a deep, shaky breath, and then fell to his knees.

"I'm sorry, Maka." He gasped, through tears.

"Soul?" Maka got to her knees, and scooted towards Soul. "Soul, if you want me to help, you need to talk to me."

Soul put his face in his hands and shook his head.

He remained silent.

"Soul..." Maka bit her lip, before saying anything else.

The bathroom was quiet with the exception of Soul's occasional sobs.

"Why?"

Maka looks down at Soul, surprised that he spoke.

"What, Soul?"

"Why- why does it have to be like this?"

"What do you mean?"

"Like this! I- I know that everyone is under the potions effects still, but is the love potion really a love potion?"

Maka looked at Soul, thinking about what he said.

"What do you mean?" She asks, still not getting it.

"What if- instead of it being a love potion, it really just helps the person realize their feelings for someone?"

Maka stared at Soul with wide eyes.

"Are- are you saying you might really love me?" She asks, a small smile creeping on her face.

Soul wipes his eyes.

"Yes. And that you might really love me."

"Soul-" But before she could finish her sentence, Soul's lips cut her off. She felt as if she had just been woken up from a long sleep. A sleep she didn't even know she was in.
Soul.
Maka.
I love you, Soul.
I love you too, Maka.

She kissed him back, syncing her breaths with his.