𝟏

𝐄𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞 | 𝐍𝐞𝐧𝐞 

Houston, Texas 📍

I TAPPED MY finger against the cold surface of the corner store's counter as I waited for my best friend to finish paying for her snacks and the stuff her mom sent her to buy.

" I wanna go to this kickback later but only if you down. " She got her stuff from the cashier.

" I'm down " I shrugged, pushing myself off the counter. I followed her lead and walked over to the store's medium sized double doors.

Just as she was about to push the door open, a group of guys walked in. Most of them walked right past us but one stopped and held the door open for us.

" Thanks " I mumbled as I walked through the door. He sent me a head nod before following his friends into the store.

" My mama been blowing up phone talking bout where her cigarettes at like girl go take a chill pill " She ranted.

" Don't that cause now a days everybody popping ' chill pills' like they nothing " I laughed.

" You right " She smiled. " Imma catch you later tho. What time you wanna meet up? "

" What time it start? " I questioned.

" Around 9 sumn' " She shrugged.

" Remember we gotta go on black people timing so you leave around 10 " I joked.

We said our goodbyes before going our separate ways. I continued walking until I saw my front yard. 

We lived on the same street but a few houses were in between our houses.

I wished we lived a little closer because it gets boring quickly over here because I'm an only child and my mom's always busy grading papers on the weekends. 

My dad got deployed a few months ago to some foreign country. He said he'll be back before my birthday but I know better than to get my hopes up.

Most of the time, it's just me at dinner. I have to cook dinner and bring it up to my mom's office.

I have a few friends but ever since we started senior year, everyone has been busy especially Kailani. She takes all AP just so that she could get into her dream college.