****

It was a gorgeous black lace sari, with a sleeveless cropped blouse that left my whole midriff exposed. I was worried about how my post-pregnancy body would look in it, but I guess that black outfits were flattering in general. I sprayed on my perfume, the one that he loved so much, and brushed my hair, leaving it loose around my face. The final touch included the silver dangling earrings 

Yes, no physical intimacy because of periods, but if he asked me to wear this sari, I have to add the extra touches, right?

I stared at my reflection, blushing hard, and wondered why I was so nervous. We had been married for three years, and we had two daughters together. Mera dil itni zor se kyun dhadak raha hai?

*Why is my heart beating so rapidly?

I heard the front door downstairs, and I clutched at the drape of the sari, nervously. The medication that my mother-in-law took made her so drowsy that she slept through the night. But not wanting to risk being caught dressed like this, I took out the black shawl that I usually wore over formal dresses, and wrapping it around myself, I headed out.

I headed into the kitchen as I could hear noises in there and as I got in, I shrieked. "Ammi!" 

She jumped, startled, turning to face me with her hand pressed against her chest. "Ya Allah, Jasmina!" 

Thank Allah for the shawl. I clutched it tighter, hoping my stomach wasn't visible. Ya Allah, the humiliation. "Y-You're still up?" 

"I had run out of water to have medicine with, and when I got down here, I just looked out to see whether Fawad was back yet or not." She whispered. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to spoil any..."

"No, Ammi, of course not." I felt bad. "If you wanted water, you should have asked me. I would have gotten it for you." Can the ground open up and swallow me?

She walked over and put a hand on my cheek. "Shohar ke saath birthday khul ke manao. Agar  bachiyan uth gayin, main sambhal loon gi.

*"Celebrate your birthday openly with your husband. If the girls wake up, I'll take care of them." 

My mother-in-law had also given me an envelope, like Bhai and Bhabi had, on behalf of herself and Papa. She had also given me a wrapped gift, sent to me by Fariha, who had known that Ammi would be here for my birthday. 

"Allah lambi zindagi de tumhain aur sehat tandarusti. Ameen." She ran both hands over my head. "Bohat khushiyan di hain tumne Fawad ko, Ma Sha Allah. Allah tumhain mere bete ko har ek khushi dene ka ajar de. Ameen.

*"May Allah give you a long life and good health. Ameen."
"You have given Fawad a lot of happiness, Ma Sha Allah. May Allah reward you for each time you've made my son happy. Ameen."

I felt tears in my eyes hearing her duas. I was a genuine blessing to have a buzurg around. 

"Kuch dua mere liye bhi chodh dain, Ammi." My husband's voice from the doorway made us both turn. 

*"Leave some duas for me as well, Ammi." 

He was leaning against the doorframe, looking absolutely knackered, holding a bag of delicious smelling food that made my stomach growl just by the scent. "Assalam Alaikum." He spoke softly to his mother, before his gaze turned to me. His gaze ran from my head to toe and then back, and I could see the sparkle in his eyes, despite the exhaustion. "Yeh kaun hain, Ammi? Inse poochain agar yeh meri doosri biwi banay ke liye tayar hain."