Chapter 43 - Blood Transfusion

Start from the beginning

Sam goes wide eyed and immediately pulls out her phone and rings Lena's number. Lena's phone just rings and rings before then going to voicemail.

"Shit." Sam mutters.

"Mom." Ruby says.

"I know, swear jar." Sam replies.

"No, those people who were taking aunt Lena's mom away, they looked like the same people who work with Alex at the DEO." Ruby explains.

Sam nods and then scrolls to Alex in her contacts before ringing her.

*******

Alex is presently rushing to the other medical room, where they store the DEO's blood reserves in a fridge. Just as Alex enters the medical room, her phone rings. Alex quickly grabs it, in fear that maybe Winn or Kara is calling her because something has happened in the less than a minute she has been away from them, but Alex notices that it is Sam calling her. The fact that Sam is calling her doesn't make Alex's feeling of dread any better, in fact she may feel slightly worse by it. Alex knows that if Sam is calling her, she probably knows that something has happened to Lena, and she is going to now have to be the one to tell the Arias woman about how bad of a state Lena is in.

Alex takes a deep breath and answers her phone.

"Hello, Sam?" Alex answers.

"Alex, thank god." Sam says, breathing a sigh of relief. "Ruby and I just saw the news about Lillian's arrest. Ruby said that the agents that took her away looked like they were from the DEO. You don't happen to know anything about it, do you? I tried to phone Lena, but she isn't answering."

Upon hearing those words from Sam, Alex's dread just feels even worse than it originally did, as Alex realises that Sam is only calling to ask about Lillian's arrest. Sam clearly has absolutely no idea that Lena got shot.

"Alex?" Sam asks, after Alex doesn't reply.

"Yes... uhmm.... Lena has been shot." Alex explains.

"WHAT?!" Sam replies, worry in her voice.

"Mom?" Ruby asks her mother, confused.

"Did Lillian do it?" Sam asks, confused and extremely worried.

"No.... Lillian.... she sent an assassin to kill Alura.... She then told Lena all about it..... Lena phoned me and told me, and that Lillian was then unconscious in her office. I then had DEO agents go and take Lillian into custody while I tried to get to Kara and Alura's location. Lena got there before me though. L-Corp is closer to where it happened.... I didn't see it.... but apparently Lena went running towards Kara and Alura, and just as Alura was about to be shot, Lena jumped in the way of the bullet. Kara didn't know that happened at the time, and just flew away as Supergirl to find the sniper. Lena just took Alura into a nearby apartment lobby, but it looks like she soon collapsed from the bullet wound thereafter." Alex explains.

"I... how.... how bad is she?" Sam asks.

"She's... I'm not going to lie Sam.... It isn't looking good. The doctor.... she has been able to remove all the bullet fragments from Lena's abdomen, and close up the wound, but Lena has lost a lot of blood. Usually we would just give Lena a blood transfusion, but we are running very low on her blood type. We have currently figured out a way to give her some blood, which is complicated and I don't have much time to explain, but I don't think it will be enough. It may only just buy us some time so we can get her enough blood so she can be properly treated." Alex says.

"I.... wait!!!" Sam says, a sound of realisation in her voice.

"What?" Alex asks, confused.

"Lena, she told me the other day that she recently has been storing some of her own blood in one of the labs in L-Corp! I can see if I can find some!" Sam declares.