Chapter 23

i'm sorry

but you all knew this was coming

"Hyacinthus, move!" Apollo yelled. The discus was already closing in on its prey, the idiotic, stupid voice that couldn't get out of his head, ahem ZEPHYRUS.

Hyacinthus looked confused, but ducked just in time before the discus could hit him. Apollo thrust his hand out, shattering it into a million pieces. Relief flooded his mind, all he could think of was what would've happened if Hyacinthus didn't move. 

"You saved me!" Hyacinthus exclaimed, stumbling a bit. "Today sucks!" 

"Thank Zeus, you're okay." Apollo said. Hyacinthus ran over to him and the two embraced.

Yeah, that didn't happen. That  what Apollo wanted to happen.

And when Apollo saw that wicked face right above Hyacinthus, he knew he f*cked up. 

"No!" He was the god of prophecy, how could he not foresee this?

"Hyacinthus!" He ran over, collapsing on his knees next to his fallen lover. The mild pain of tiny blades of grass cutting his knees are nothing. Ambrose no. 1, 2, 3, and 4 knew better than to stick around and disappeared into a cloud of mist. 

"Hyacinthus, Hyacinthus, Hyacinthus, Hyacinthus, Hyacinthus," he stuttered, saying his name so many times  he was now saying, "hi see sa sa sa." 

The golden discus was smeared with Hyacinthus's blood, after all, it penetrated his skull. Red liquid slowly dripped out from the wood, dying the once blue flowers a dark purple, the color of his eyes-

"Hyacinthus, it's going to be okay." Apollo said, squeezing his hand; it was more for him than Hyacinthus, since he was panicking more than the one who was dying. He knew it was a lie, but it what if it wasn't? 

"It's going to be okay, I can heal it-" Apollo said, trying to close the wound. No, he gotten there too late. "That's fine, Aesculapius can save you." he said hurriedly.

"Aesculapius!" he yelled. "Wait, dang it, he doesn't exist yet!"

"I some say-" Hyacinthus croaked. He could feel his consciousness slowly drifting away, slowly drifting away on that little stream of blood.

"It's going to be okay!" Apollo shrieked, putting his hands to Hyacinthus's head to stop the bleeding. That didn't work. Warm blood cascaded over his hand. Blood. Apollo's heart wouldn't stop pounding, sweat trickling down his forehead. "Hyacinthus-"

"Apollo, shaddup." Blood was trickling down his esophagus, disgusting. "He looked over to Apollo, trying to form words. This was a little hard because his brain went bye bye. 

"It- birthday soon." he said. Yup, his brain was dying.

"I know, that's not important." Apollo's senses were finally kicking up, eyes starting to well up with tears; actually, tears pouring down his face. Face contorted with despair, brows scrunched up. He pressed Hyacinthus's hand to his cheek. "Hyacinthus.. please, don't close your eyes-"

Hyacinthus dabbed his blood on his hand, then started drawing something on Apollo's hand. A heart. He smiled. His body started to shimmer, his blood absorbing into the flowers, his essence floating away off to the afterlife. A ghostly translucent form of Hyacinthus floated up into the air, his mortal body dissolving. 

"No, Hyacinthus, you can't go! I- I love you!" Apollo sobbed, desperately trying to cling to whatever soul Hyacinthus still retained in the mortal world. "Hyacinthus, please!" He grabbed on to that ghostly translucent hand, still warm. Hyacinthus looked down and cupped his cheeks, kissing his forehead. Then he left.