The Telmarine's Challenge

For a while, you and Peter just sat in front of the cracked Stone Table, not saying a word. Lucy joins the two of you. 

"You're lucky, you know," Peter says to Lucy. He turns and looks at her. 

"What do you mean?" 

"To have seen him. I wish he'd just give me some kind of proof." 

"Maybe we're the ones who need to prove ourselves to him," she says. Peter smiles at her and then Edmund comes running up. 

"Pete, you'd better come quick," he says with panic in his voice. Peter grabs your hand and all of you run through the passageways till they get outside. The whole Telmarine army is approaching the How in full armor. Caspian's uncle, Miraz, rides to the front. Everyone immediately turns back around and heads to the Stone Table. Plans are discussed and this time, you are standing next to Peter, having a little bit of input to the conversation. 

"Cakes and kettledrums! That's your next big plan? Sending a little girl alone into the darkest parts of the forest alone?" Trumpkin practically yells. 

"It's our only chance." 

"And she won't be alone," Susan inputs. 

"Haven't enough of us dies already?" 

"Nikabrik was my friend too, but he lost hope. Queen Lucy hasn't. And neither have I," Trufflehunter says. 

"For Aslan," Reepicheep says. The Bulgy Bear repeats after Reep. 

"We have to hold them off until Lucy and Susan get back." 

"If I may..." Caspian steps forward. 

"Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer. But as king, he is subject to the traditions and expectations of his people. There is one, in particular, that may buy us some time."

     Edmund leaves with a couple of others leaving the rest of us to prepare for battle. You sit by the stone table as Peter paces around mumbling. Finally, you had enough. You stand and stop Peter from pacing. 

"You need to calm down," you say softly. Your hands wrap around him, pulling him into a hug. It's a bit awkward with all his armor on but nonetheless, it was comforting to both of you. You stand there for a couple of minutes before he pulls away but doesn't take his hands off of you. 

"What did I ever do to deserve you?" he asks as he pulls you in. With foreheads pressed together, you wrap your arms around his neck. Instead of giving him an answer, you kiss him lightly. 

"I don't want you near the fight," he whispers against your lips. 

"And I don't want you to fight one-on-one against Miraz but you still are going to fight," you respond. A soft kiss is placed on your lips before he pulls away fully and continues pacing. 

"Peter." You try to stop him again but he doesn't. 

"I'll give you some space." You walk out of the room, leaving Peter there staring after you. You find Susan. 

"How's Peter?" she asks as she notices you. 

"Worried. Same as all of us. Do you know where I can get a bow and arrows? I want to join the archers," you say with confidence. 

"Yeah but I know Peter will want you there by the battle arena." 

"I'll be there but I would feel much better if I could protect myself. I don't need to depend on others." She looks at you and stands with a huge smile on her face. She pulls you into a hug. 

"I'll see what I can find." She walks off and you sit on the edge looking at the army off in the distance. 

"I hope Peter wins..."