And that afternoon, while walking out to Care of Magical Creatures, Severus spotted Remus and I and began trailing us, making comments about how Remus was more brave than he presented, hanging out with a 'mer freak'. Remus didn't hesitate to break the boy's long nose.

Although blood dripped from his face, Severus was not finished with his insults.

"I'd expect nothing short of violence from a werewolf," he spat. I took a swing as well and he shut up, scurrying off pitifully to tattle on us.

This behavior, while absolutely necessary and quite badass, landed the Marauders, Marlene and I in McGonagall's office that misty November night. Lily and Alice were never caught, and therefore made it out safe, and we planned to take the fall for them should the topic come up.

"Damaging another House's common room and its inhabitants," the professor read, shifting between pieces of parchment that listed our crimes. "Hexing fellow students, and," she paused and looked up at Remus and I with surprise. "You both punched Mr. Snape?"

We swallowed and said nothing.

"Have a biscuit," she remarked, pushing a basket across her desk.

We each took one, a bit suspiciously.

"You're not," Peter mumbled. "You're not mad?"

It was almost as if she was going to laugh.

"Were you provoked?" She asked.

We nodded eagerly and she shrugged.

"In which case it would not seem fit to deduct House points," she explained. "However, you'll understand that I will need to give you each a night's worth of detention," she raised her eyebrows. There was definitely a hint of a smile.

We nodded and she dusted us out of her office, with orders to return at 10.

Personally, this news was the best outcome. Apart from not being hated extra for being the 'monster' who lost several batches of house points, I would also be permitted to stay awake for a few extra hours. But I did feel bad that my friends would have to be there with me.

"Sorry about the detentions," I said as we made our way back to the common room.

"Sorry? What for?" Asked Marlene with a laugh.

"I dunno, you all did that stuff because of me."

"Who said it was for you?" Sirius said. "I just felt like having a go at some Slytherins is all."

"Yeah, not everything is about you, Syd," Peter added.

"Besides," sighed James, slinging his arm around my shoulder and pouring all of his weight on me. "It's not like we have anything better to do tonight," he ruffled my hair.

"Thanks guys," I smiled. "I would say I love you all but I think your egos are too large already."

"Did you hear that?" James exclaimed, lifting off of my shoulders. "Squid loves us!"

"Oh, blessed day!" Cheered Sirius. He and James joined hands and pranced down the hall joyously. I rolled my eyes.

"I retract my statement!" I called after them, but they either didn't hear, or chose to ignore me.

"This is why you're my favorite, Pete."

"Aw, don't say that," said Marlene flirtatiously. "You know you'd want a piece of this if I wasn't already taken."

"Oh for sure," I replied. "But I could never do that to Dorcas."

"I don't see how I'm not your favorite," Remus chimed in from beside me.