ii. sweet talks

When Vansh came out after a cold shower, he was overly guilt-stricken. He had no right to be so mean with Riddhima. Heck, she was his pregnant wife and, it was obvious she would be eating more than usual. Much more. After all, she was eating for two beings now. He chuckled as he remembered how cute she looked with red checks and an equally red nose, all angry and glaring at him. He dare not say so to her – the consequences, he knew, won't be in his favour.

With only a white towel draped around his waist, Vansh walked towards the bed to get his clothes, when he saw Riddhima sitting on the edge of her side of the bed, her back toward him. She was sitting only in her innerwear. So unlike her.

Vansh wanted to apologize for his rude behaviour but was sceptical to do so. What if Riddhima shouted at him? And, stressed herself in the process? What if he lost his temper again and said things he doesn't mean? Worst, what if she orders him to sleep on the couch tonight? Or, for the next few days? There's no way in hell he'd be able to do that!

But that was no reason to not apologize for his unacceptable behaviour. If what he feared came true, didn't he deserve that? Hell, no. But, deep inside, Vansh knew better. Letting out a sigh and a silent prayer for luck to be in his favour, Vansh approached his wife.

"Riddhima."

"Go away!"

"Riddhima, listen –"

"Go away. How dare you call me that? How could you? I don't want to see your face. Get out. Now!"

Vansh knew it was a lost cause. Riddhima was infuriated with him and rightly so. Which woman would like to be called a glutton by her husband? That too, when she is pregnant? Given the blunder he has made, Vansh wouldn't ask for more if Riddhima only looked at him. Only, she didn't. Even for once.

Sighing, he mumbled, "If that's what you want, sweetheart."

Vansh headed towards the door. Just as he twisted the knob and it clicked open, he heard Riddhima's cry.

"Don't go. Please."

He turned around. "Riddhima?"

She turned her head. Looking away, she said, "Please, don't leave me. Don't go. Please."

He shut the door.

With quick long strides, Vansh came and sat beside her on the bed. Riddhima's head hung down, one hand on the mattress, the other on her growing stomach. Vansh placed a hand on her exposed thigh.

"Riddhima? Look at me, sweetheart. Riddhima."

Vansh was guilt-stricken than ever when Riddhima looked at him. Her eyes were red, so were her nose and cheeks, tear stains evident on them. "Sweetheart, were you crying? Shit! I'm so sorry. I truly am. Trust me, I didn't mean to call you what I did. Honest. I was just hungry and then that phone call...I just...I am so, so –"

"Vansh...Vansh," she said softly. "It alright."

"– so sorry, Riddhima." His eyes glistened. "You know that I didn't mean any of it, right?"

Riddhima's face fell. She turned away from him causing Vansh to knit his eyebrows.

"Sweetheart, I –"

"It's okay, Vansh. You don't have to apologize. Maybe, you didn't mean to hurt me but what you said is the truth. There's no denying that. And, the fact remains that," – she sighed as more tears pricked the corners of her eyes – "I am a...glutton." The tears fell down her cheeks and Riddhima sniffed.

"Sweetheart –"

"No, don't. Just don't. Why should you apologize for saying the truth? I should've been strong enough to take it on my face. But, it's so unfair," – she sniffed as more tears started to escape her eyes – "my nightdresses don't fit me anymore." Vansh followed Riddhima's gaze to see a set of her nightdresses pool at her feet. "See? Oh, God! I'm so fat and so ugly and everything bad. I don't want them. I don't want anything, no food, no clothes, nothing. Nothing fits me, now. Absolutely nothing. Because I've become such a misfit. No wonder if you don't find me attractive anymore, don't love me anymore. I'm, I'm..."