2. THE SCARIER THE MERRIER

I don't enjoy Halloween decorations, but I admire the sense of patriotism they bring to the adornments. There are scary leprechauns and bloody Irish flags hanging on the walls. And some pumpkins have Celtic symbols carved on them.

People are already coming out for drinks in masks and costumes, two days before the actual date.

I'm uncomfortable among all the witches, zombies, and vampires. I don't like scary things. I used to have terrible nightmares when I was younger. My parents always said I was one of those kids who thought she saw monsters everywhere. I don't remember the monsters, but I still see strange things sometimes. Halloween is a reminder of my irrational fear.

Shiobban decided on a long black dress with lace that matches her pale skin and obsidian hair. I'm happy I'm not the only one not wearing a disguise. She looks around the crowded pub until she locks eyes with a curly red-haired girl sitting at the counter. She waves at her leads us through the horde and takes the empty seats next to the girl.

"Cara, I present you my new roommate, Mel. Mel, this is Cara."

I nod at Cara. She has expressive brown eyes framed by wide cheeks. I can't tell how tall she is sitting down but I see she has the curvy figure I often envied in girls. She hesitates before leaning in.

"Your new roommate?" Despite her low murmur, I still hear her. "Does she know?"

"Yes, she knows," Shiobban assures her, before turning to face me. "I mean, you do, don't you? What happened to my last roommate?"

"That she was killed? Yes."

"Not just killed," Cara insists. She keeps her voice low even though we're in a crowded pub. "The police have no idea how it was done. People are saying it's witchcraft. There were signs of a struggle but no visible entry wound from the outside. It looked like she was murdered from inside her own body."

I shudder. Another reason why I don't like Halloween. Weird things always happen around this time of year. I hated all things mysterious. And yet it seemed the obscure always finds a way to follow me around.

"And how was she murdered?" I ask.

Cara opens her eyes wide in excitement. "Her brain looked like a needle cushion. There were huge holes in the grey mass. Someone penetrated her head with a very sharp object but there were no signs of trauma on the skull."

I squint and look from Cara to Shiobban. I am not sure if they are pulling a prank on me but they don't to be joking. How is it possible someone could die without any marks on the bone which is there to protect the brain? "Are you serious?"

"Yes, no one can explain it. And because there's no logical explanation, they are using the same reasoning they always give."

"Which is?"

At this point, I don't care how far-fetched the logical explanation is. I am desperate for a rational description. One that won't give me nightmares at night.

"She must have had an unknown medical condition which caused a psychosomatic reaction. The acute pain from whatever she was suffering gave her a heart attack in the end."

"Cara studies criminology," Shiobbain says. "That's why she is interested in all these disgusting details."

"Oh, like you don't? You love weird things. But honestly, I don't know how you two can live there."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Your room. That's where the murder happened." She turns to Shiobban, "I'm happy we were out drinking that night. Imagine. It could have been you, Shiobban."

Shiobban avoids Cara's eyes and takes a sip of her drink. "Right."

Poor Shiobban. I can't imagine what it must be to have to sleep in a room where someone you know was murder. Had she been the one to find her?

I don't have the opportunity to ask. A familiar smell of cinnamon and citrus-scented cologne fills up my nostrils. The odour makes me uncomfortable and it brings a bad memory I can't place.

"Can I have a vodka tonic, please?" A male voice asks behind me.

I turn to see the guy who just placed his order. I'm disappointed when I don't recognise the medium height, brown-haired guy at the counter. Maybe that perfume was popular around here.

I start to turn around but he catches the top of my arm and stops me.

"Wait a second. You're that girl? Aren't you?" I frown because I have no idea what is talking about. For a second, I think he's someone from back home who recognises me and I'm anxious. "The one who fell today when I tried to scare you?"

I smile relieved. That's where the smell comes from. No wonder I have such a bad imprint with it.

"Maybe," I admit. "I can't say I saw your face."

He throws his head back and laughs. He has a nice perfect set of teeth of someone who probably wore braces for many of his teenage years. I think he's cute and I have the feeling he thinks the same of himself.

"I'm sorry," he says. "I didn't have the time to apologise before you rushed off. Are you okay?" I nod and he extends his hand out. "I'm Aiden. Here, let me buy you a drink to make up to you."

Shiobban clears her throat next to me. I almost forgot she and her friend Cara are here.

"Excuse me," her voice is clear and sharp. "In case you haven't noticed, she is with friends."

Aiden puts his hands up. "I don't want any beef. I was just trying to be a good Samaritan and repay the lady for the scare I gave her."

Shiobban is still seizing the guy up. I touch her shoulder and lean so only she can hear me. "I guess a drink won't do me any harm." She eyes me for a second and opens her palms flat to the ceiling. I smile at Aiden and tell him what I would like. He slides it across the bar as soon as it arrives.

"I don't think I caught your name, did I?"

"No," I reply making no eye contact, while I stir my mojito.

"So?"

I look embarrassed at him but he is smiling. "I'm sorry, it's Melissa. Mel, if you wish."

"I think Melissa is fine. So, Melissa, you don't like Halloween masks?"

"It's more the whole Halloween thing I'm not a fan of."

Aiden puts a palm to his heart and opens his mouth in outraged shock. He has sweet chuck hazel eyes and a boyish face that looks more juvenile when he smiles.

"You don't like Halloween, why?"

"I don't see why we should celebrate a day that means death. Life is scary already, why would we want to make it scarier by using horrible masks? I prefer to know when my fears are real."

"But that's what makes it so fun! Life is scary. Why wouldn't we enjoy and make fun of that fear? Life is trying to make us fear it, and on this day we mock its attempts and say," he puts his hands on my shoulders and shakes me. "No, not today. Today, I'm not scared of anything you throw at me."

"I take it you like Halloween?"

"That obvious, anh? I can't deny it. Me and myself, we are fans of the gore."

"What about the people that use this occasion to commit horrible murders? Doesn't it scare you? Take the other girl, who died two days ago."

His hazel eyes get darker. "Horrible people will kill innocents every day of the year, whenever they please. Perhaps, maybe even on Christmas. It can't be a reason to stop us from enjoying our lives."

I bring my drink to my lips. I don't want to keep on thinking about murdered people and scary things but it's stronger than me. "When you say you're a fan of the gore, what do you mean?"

"The scary monsters. All the supernatural bunch, love. The scarier the merrier."