1.5 The Dark Mark - Part 2

{18th of August, 1994}

The colored lanterns that had lit the path to the stadium had been extinguished. Dark figures were blundering through the trees; children were crying; anxious shouts and panicked voices were around them in the cold night air. Then she heard someone yell with pain.

"What happened?" said Archie anxiously, Cassie stopped so abruptly. " Holy frickity frack— lumos!"

She illuminated her wand and directed its narrow beam across the path. Weasley was lying sprawled on the ground.

"Tripped over a tree root," he said angrily, getting to his feet again.

"Well, with feet that size, hard not to," said a drawling voice from behind them.

The five of them turned sharply. Draco Malfoy was standing alone nearby, leaning against a tree, looking utterly relaxed. His arms folded, he seemed to have been watching the scene at the campsite through a gap in the trees. Weasley said something that made Cassiopeia cover Archies ears.

"Language, Weasley," said Malfoy, his pale eyes glittering. "Hadn't you better be hurrying along, now? You wouldn't like her spotted, would you?"

He nodded at Hermione, and at the same moment, a blast like a bomb sounded from the campsite, and a flash of green light lit the trees around them.

"What's that supposed to mean?" said Hermione defiantly.

"Granger, they're after Muggles," said Malfoy. "D'you want to be showing off your knickers in midair? Because if you do, hang around . . . they're moving this way, and it would give us all a laugh."

"Hermione's a witch," little potter snarled.

"Have it your own way, Potter," said Malfoy, grinning maliciously.

" Hate to break the sexual tension but Draco, let's go,!" said Cassiopeia quickly, gesturing to Archie on her back. He ignored her.

There came a bang from the other side of the trees that was louder than anything they had heard. Several people nearby screamed. Malfoy chuckled softly.

"Scare easily, don't they?" he said lazily. "I suppose your daddy told you all to hide? What's he up to,   trying to rescue the Muggles?"

"Draco I rescued the little muggles!" exclaimed Cassie. 

"Where're your parents?" said Potter, his temper rising. "Out there wearing masks, are they?"

Malfoy turned his face to him, still smiling.

"Well . . . if they were, I wouldn't be likely to tell you, would I, Potter?"

"Oh come on Draco," said Cassiopeia, with an annoyed look at Malfoy, "I've got 25kg (roughly 55 pounds) on my back and have been running this entire time."