"Nope, no," Hayden reached out and stopped her hand. "Don't do that. Your cuts need to heal."

"Cuts?" Nora asked.

Hayden wished she would stop talking. Her voice sounded as if it was seconds away from disappearing. The words would pick up pitch in the beginning and then vanish completely by the time she got to the end of it. Nora tried to clear her throat but every time she coughed, a flash of pain poured over her face.

"Stop that," Hayden frowned. He pulled her other hand away from her throat and pinned them down on her lap. He scowled as he stared at her.

"What happened?" Nora asked again, trying to pull her hands back.

"Kiara didn't recognize you for a few seconds on the beach," Hayden's hand tightened around Nora's wrists. He knew as soon as he let go, they would find their way back to her throat.

"Is she okay?" Nora asked.

Her question made Hayden want to shake with laughter. Was she really asking if Kiara was okay?

"What?" Nora's voice squeaked as she stared at the strange look on Hayden's face.

"Yes," Hayden held back a laugh. "Kiara is okay."

"Is Killian okay?"

Hayden nodded his head and laughed, "Yes, Nora. Killian is fine. And before you ask, I'm okay too."

"I wasn't going to ask."

Hayden arched a brow, "So to hell with me?"

"You're right here," Nora motioned with her chin. "I can see you. You seem fine to me."

"I am."

"Good."

"Great."

Nora shut her mouth and tried to free her hands once more. This time, Hayden only hesitated for a few seconds before releasing her and rising to his feet. Nora didn't bother looking up to meet his eyes as he pulled the chair closer to the bed and took a seat.

The room suddenly grew silent once more. Nora looked up and searched the bedside table for a TV remote or something. The occasional beeps of the machine weren't enough to keep her fears at bay. She needed to fill the silence with something.

"Nora..." Hayden spoke up.

He stared at his hands as he leaned back on his chair with one of his legs resting over the other. Hayden didn't seem to notice how Nora's eyes were jumping around the room. He was too busy trying to string together words and explain to her what had happened.

"I couldn't touch you," he said.

"What?" Nora paused and looked at the half Jinn.

"In the water," Hayden looked up and turned his head towards the window. He took in a deep breath before running his palms on his lap and finally dragging his eyes back to Nora staring at him.

"In my jinn form, I can't touch you," he explained. "I would have burned you."

"Oh..." Nora felt her heart sink.

"I don't want you to think I didn't want to save you."

"For a few seconds, I thought you didn't."

Hayden's face fell. He visibly grew uncomfortable as their eyes met. Nora was caught off guard by how green his eyes were.

"Sorry," she suddenly said, her voice cracking.

"For what?" Hayden asked, keeping his voice casual.

"I..." Nora shrugged. "You seem disappointed with what I said."