Chapter 3

"Heeeh? So, it really was them then?"

"Mhm. It would appear so."

Furuya Reiko and her mother were currently sitting in their living, with a serious expression gracing each of their faces. Honestly, if somebody were to walk in on them, they would probably end up feeling very confused for multiple reasons. One, nobody would ever expect to see the type of expression Reiko had donned, on a child. Two, the conversation itself was extremely strange and somewhat cryptic. And finally, the both of them were slurping up ramen like it didn't break the mood whatsoever. 

The ramen was a necessity, though. They were hungry. 

Criminal organizations be damned. 

"That's certainly troubling," Haruna sighed. "I was really hoping to keep anybody else from getting involved with them." She slurped up some more ramen before giving her daughter a pointed glance. "I wasn't even wanting to get you involved."

Reiko also took a slurp of her ramen as she tried to hide a small smirk. "Too bad I'm nosy, huh?"

"Too bad you're nosy." Haruna confirmed with a small smile. While she wanted to keep her daughter safe and away from such dangerous things, she couldn't deny that she appreciated having somebody to always help her out. Plus, she hated keeping secrets from her most precious person. "Which is why I'm sure that you know what we need to do next…"

Haruna and Reiko exchanged mischievous grins. 

"How busy do you think Auntie Yukiko and Uncle Yusaku are these days?"

Sluuuurp~

****

It had been ten days, and Conan was on his way to making a full recovery. During the past week and a half, Ran had finally found out about Reiko having made friends with Conan and the Detective Boys. Apparently, Conan had 'forgotten' to mention to her about the new addition to class, so there was a fair bit of confusion on Ran's part when she first noticed the young blonde at the hospital. And now, the kids, excluding Haibara, along with Ran and Sonoko were all visiting and were just receiving some very good news. 

"What? Really?!"

"Yes," the Doctor smiled at the two teenage girls as the kids had all gone over to play some video games with Conan. "The important organs weren't damaged, and his recovery has been great. Looks like he can go home in two or three days."

"That's great!" Ran seemed to light up at the news. 

"But because the surgery made him weak," the Doctor started to add. "He has a small upper windpipe infection."

"Windpipe infection?" 

"A cold!"

The trio glanced over to where the kids were playing games. Well… Conan was the one actually playing on the handheld device that the kids had brought. Meanwhile, Ayumi, Genta, and Mitsuhiko were all shouting around him. 

"The game's not bad, right?!" Genta grinned. 

"It's really popular at school!" Ayumi told Conan cheerfully as the boy started getting into the game. 

"Ah, over there!" Mitsuhiko pointed out on the screen. "There, to the left!"

Reiko stood a bit off to the side, shaking her head in amusement. Video games weren't really her thing, so she was just calmly standing by. It totally wasn't because she sucked at video games. Not at all. And if Conan tried to say anything otherwise, he was definitely lying.

"Alright!" Sonoko walked over and plucked the game out of Conan's hands. "Game over! The patient has to return to his room." Ran grabbed ahold of Conan's wheelchair. "It's late. You guys better go home."