Dorm Room 210: Phones Hold Value

Start from the beginning

Noah rests his hand on my back. "Do you have asthma? Show me where your ventalian is."

"Stop talking," I say, pressing my hand against my chest. The emotions hit me right through.

Think positive, think positive. She's not going to hate you, she's just not going to talk to you anymore, that's all. No one will. You'll be alone and quiet just like you were before. Superman was alone, and he made it. He made it...

A sudden heavy lift drops from my chest, and I rejoice silently when my lungs fill up. My forehead feels sweaty, and my hands can't stop shaking. The phone is somewhere on the floor, but the only thing close enough for me to clutch is Noah's hand.

I exhale and the tears burn behind my eyes.

"Let's cut today short. I'll take you back to the dorm," Noah says, packing away our books with only one hand. I can't think to feel sorry for the amount of pain I'm causing.

"I just need air." I wipe the moisture from my cheeks, wishing I could wipe the ache from my chest the same way.

"I'm sorry," he says, gently helping me up.

"No, it's not your fault, it just happens."

His hand remains in mine, and our bags dig into our sides, but we make it outside quietly. "If it ever happens again, a warning might help. You scared the shit out of me."

I press my mouth together. "I'm sorry, Noah."

He hushes me. "It's not about me. Now stop talking, or you'll give us both a stroke."

A couple of students ask if I'm okay, and offer to take me to the medical bay. I decline, just wanting the familiar comfort of secluded walls.

"Want me to stay?" Noah asks when we get inside the dorm.

"Not if you don't want to." I reach down to undo the zipper on my boots, but Noah beats me to it, and gently tugs it off in seconds.

He helps me out of my jacket and places my bottle of water in the grasps of my hands. My heart races at the unfamiliar object. "I think I left my phone at the library."

"Don't panic on me," he says before I can do as such. He levels with me, and rests a hand on my knee. "I'll be back, yeah? Keep breathing and... and drink water. Breathe and drink water."

Nodding at his words, Noah then leaves, silently closing the door behind him. I clench the bottle tighter, trying to stop accusations running in my head like a tornado, but my will isn't strong enough. 

I'm in my blanket when Noah comes back, along with Nicole and Rachel, eyes wide with panic. My heart picks up immediately, guilt swimming in my veins. I made them feel this way, I think. Words begin to tumble out of my mouth, nothing about it making sense.

And then they are cut short when arms wrap around me.

"Lilly, you're okay, we're here," Nicole assures, and for the second time today my nose pricks up. 

I wrap my arms around them as they sit themselves next to me, running their hands down my arms and hair, hushing me as I mutter our apology after apology.

"This is nothing," Rachel says, a little laugh escaping her at the end. "Sorry, it's not funny, but this is the least worse offense anyone has done."

"I lied to you." My body trembles and Nicole hushes next to me. "I lied and you're here reassuring me. I don't understand, I don't get it..."

Rachel comes in front of my vision, hands grabbing onto my wrists. "Because we're friends and that's what friends do. Just like Donkey said to Shrek, friends forgive each other. I forgive you and I still love you. Okay?"