Dorm Room 210: Just a Bit Awkward

Author note: This chapter has been revised and edited. Updated 13th July 2017

Chapter 12:

Just a Bit Awkward

On Monday I return back to the dorm, feeling happier and ambitiousness than I have ever been. My chest feels lighter. The air around me tastes sweeter, like ripe rose petals with left over rain. I brush a moist, dead vine beside the door, wondering if it will ever be reborn again. There's always a possibility.

Noah hunches over his desk, scribbling on his note book as music plays in the background. I pause at the door. "Is this Roxette?"

"Yeah," Noah says, without removing his eyes or hand away from the page. "Saw it besides your bed. Hope you don't mind; I can't handle silence when I'm studying."

"I'm the opposite." I toss my bag on the bed and place my keys on the bedside table, and hover over Noah's shoulder. "Assignments?"

"Exam prep." He highlights a section and copies it in short form. "Semester break is next week and my theory exam is on Friday."

"Oh!" I move back, feeling conscience of my decision to be that close to him. "I'm sorry, did you want me to go? I didn't know you were studying. I can come back later..."

He swerves around, the corners of his mouth pinching upwards, and eyes crinkling with humour behind them. "Lillian, it's okay. I don't mind your presence." He stretches from his seat, exposing his stomach and the trail of hair that runs below his jeans. My mouth flops open, just as it disappears back under his shirt. I pretend I don't notice, but it's hard when the image remains stuck.

"You were gone all night," he says, moving around the dorm, stretching his muscles and rubbing the back of his neck. "Everything's all right with you and...whoever you were fighting with?"

"My aunt Stacy." I plug in my phone charger and let it rest beside my keys. "We're good now that we talked about it."

He seems pleased when I smile. "Good. It's better to move on than to dwell about it."

"Yeah, well, I'll be staying with her during break."

He rests his shoulder against the bathroom door, arms crossed around his chest. "All the time?"

I shrug. "I don't have any plans."

Noah rubs the back of his neck, focusing on the grey names imprinted on the wall behind me. "You should come hang with us. I'm sure Nikki and Rach would like you there."

Will you? I want to ask out loud, but my teeth bite into my bottom lip just in time. Noah picks up on the sound I make regardless, and waits for my response. I try to think of something without having to think at all. His eyes continue to bore into my own, fluttering every few seconds. My chest stutters and my stomach drops, like summer heat decides to stop by during the middle of winter. It's happened before, but not as intense.

I fiddle with the ends of my hair. "What will Jesse say?"

"We'll handle Jesse." He steps closer, and my bedside table becomes the barrier between us. "So, you're in, yeah?"

The Look plays in the background, and the moment between us becomes a hollywood movie scene. I stand up and nod enthusiastically, too aware of my fantasies slipping through. "Um, yeah, let me know when you guys have plans, and I'll try to—"

Noah hisses suddenly, and his left hand reaches out to tug at his neck. A groan leaves his throat, and a quiet "shit" follows. I frown as his face squishes together uncomfortably, and his neck twisting against his hand, trying to sooth the pain. Did he hurt himself, I wonder. "Noah? Are you okay?"