Chapter 48: Tough Love

Start from the beginning

"I understand, man. But Steve is gone," Sam told him.

Bucky sighed at that.

"And this might be a surprise, but it doesn't matter what Steve thought," Sam replied.

He threw the shield then caught it.

"You gotta stop looking to other people to tell you who you are," Sam continued.

He threw the shield then Bucky caught it.

"Let me ask you. You still having those nightmares?" Sam asked.

"All the time. It means I remember. It means a part of me is still there. Which means a part of the Winter Soldier's still in me. But my biggest fear is it'll come back...and I won't remember Y/N," Bucky admitted.

Bucky threw the shield then Sam caught it.

"You up for a little tough love? You want to climb out of the hell you're in, do the work. Do it," Sam told him.

"I've been making amends," Bucky told him.

"Nah. You weren't amending, you were avenging. You were stopping all the wrongdoers you enabled as the Winter Soldier, because you thought it would bring you closure. You go to these people and say 'sorry,' because you think it'll make you feel better, right? But you gotta make them feel better. You gotta go to them and be of service. I'm sure there's at least one person in that book who needs closure about something, and you're the only one who can give it to 'em," Sam explained.

"Probably a dozen," Bucky said.

"That's cool. Start with one," Sam told him then added, "And you've probably heard this, but as awesome as she is, Y/N might not be there to help you."

"I know," Bucky nodded.

"So when you aren't with her, which I assume isn't often," Sam started, making Bucky chuckle, then Sam continued, "See if there's another way to control it from inside you."

"Good talk," Bucky smirked a bit.

Sam laughed at that before they did the hand hug handshake.

(A/N I looked it up; that's the legit name for it.)

"You two are actually getting along?!" Y/N asked in fake shock, making the men laugh.

"Come here, babe!" Bucky called.

She obeyed and ran to them.

"You know Karli won't quit," Sam pointed out.

"Hopefully we can get to her," Y/N added.

Bucky smacked his lips, before saying, "Ah. You call us when you have a lead, and we'll be there."

Then they started heading toward the driveway.

"Not necessarily as a team," Bucky said.

"Nope," Sam shook his head.

"We're not that good," Bucky replied.

"Definitely not," Sam stated.

"We're professionals," Bucky told them.

"Definitely," Sam agreed.

"And, uh, we're partners," Bucky said.

"Co-workers. You two are partners for life though," Sam corrected.

"Damn right we are," Y/N smirked at her husband.

"For sure," Bucky smiled at her then continued, "But we three are also a couple of guys and girl with a mutual friend."

"Friend's now gone," Sam replied.

"So we're a couple of guys and girl," Bucky remarked.

"I can live with that," Sam nodded.

"Perfect," Bucky and Y/N jinxed.

"Thanks for the help, guys. Meant a lot," Sam told them.

"Of course," Bucky responded, patting Sam's shoulder.

"And good thing another brother of mine is Captain America," Y/N said.

"Thanks, but we'll see how long it lasts," Sam told her as they side-hugged.

"It'll last a long time," Y/N remarked as they parted.

"It better," Bucky warned jokingly.

They started leaving while Sam went back toward the house.

"How is it you two get along when I'm not there, then I come in and it's still there, but with a hint of being mean to each other? It doesn't make sense," Y/N said.

Bucky smiled and said as he put his arm around her, "No it doesn't, babe. No it doesn't."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N I'm freaking out here!