"Please do," she nods from under the pillow.

I walk out of her room and down the hallway. I pass the kitchen and see Liz and Jasmine cooking breakfast together.

"Good morning, Zion," Jasmine smiles.

"Hi," I wave to them.

"Are you staying for breakfast? We made avocado toast and smoothies," Liz offers.

"I actually can't stay," I frown.

"Take a smoothie to go," Liz pushes a cup towards me, knowing I won't eat breakfast unless someone offers it to me. And I know my mom won't.

"Okay," I walk over and take the glass that I'll return later, "thank you."

"Have a good day!" Jasmine says as I walk out the door and to my car, hurrying back home.

⭒⭒⭒

I make it to my house and see my mom's car isn't even here. It's a relief at the same time that it unnerves me. I wonder where she is. I'll be mad if she didn't wait for me before going to the hospital.

Zion to Janice: I'm home. Where are you?

I go up to my room and finish my smoothie. Then, I grab my suit from the night before and some other clothes to put into the wash. I'll visit my dad later today when I get my cleaning done. My room needs to be straightened, too.

I do all of my chores, even the ones my mom has to do to give her less stress, and finally sit on the couch to watch TV.

It's nice to relax; Jess was right. I'll leave for the hospital in a little bit. My mom still hasn't texted me back, so I assume he's still not been released yet.

A few weeks ago, my mom hit me. She punched me pretty hard and it knocked me back into the wall, leaving a red mark on my face which then turned into a bruise.

She was upset and stressed out over my dad and it was the final straw when I went to Jess' without running it by her. It was my own fault for not saying anything and she assured me it wouldn't happen again.

Still, it concerns me with how much drinking she's done lately.

I hear the garage go up as I sit and watch Friends, assuming my mom came home with my dad.

The door from the garage to the house opens and slams shut, causing me to jump at the noise.

"Those fucking idiots don't know what they're talking about," my mom walks into the house and slams her bag on the kitchen counter. "I'll show you a PhD, motherfuckers."

I look over to see her stressed out as she looks at her bag in dismay. Something went wrong at the hospital.

And she did go without me.

"Mom?" I ask and she turns to me.

"Hey," she says. Then her eyes land on the TV. "Have you been slacking off all day?"

I raise my eyebrows in confusion, "No, I did laundry and dishes and things and I just sat down-"

"Leaving me to do the dirty work, huh? After I spent all morning at the hospital dealing with idiots, I come home to the biggest one? My own daughter won't even help me out?" she shrieks in annoyance.

"I did help out. I did your chores and mine-"

"Don't sass me," my mom points at me with an angry look on her face. "I don't need your attitude."

"But, I-"

"I need a drink," she interrupts me and walks over to the refrigerator. Just what she needs. A drink. "Zion," she snaps and I sit up in a panic to look over at her. "Did you drink my beer?"